Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing The best view for 2014jo25

1. Apr 18, 2017 #1
    Hello everyone, I was hoping that someone could help me out what the best place and time to view if one wanted to see the asteroid pass by us??

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2017 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Apr 19, 2017 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

so, do you have a reasonable telescope ?
    It will just look like another star when viewing it but over some hours you will notice it has moved in relation to the other background stars

Dave

5. Apr 19, 2017 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

My two telescopes while nice were never very reasonable. You could talk to them all you want but they would remain fixated on that one point until you jiggled the mount and then all bets were off.

I have an 8" Orion reflector (a bit bulky) with a dobsonian base and no motor drive and a smaller Orion Mak which I prefer because of its portability and larger star field view also without a motor drive. I'm cheap.

6. Apr 19, 2017 #5
    that a lot better then my little 4 1/2 incher:bow: lol do you think that i mite be able to watch it with that

7. Apr 19, 2017 #6
    If you read the link in the second post you'll see that a 8 inch telescope or larger is recommended.

ETA: A 4.5" telescope has a telescopic gain of about 6 magnitudes to it should be possible under dark skies especially if you are an experienced observer.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  8. Apr 19, 2017 #7
    I'm still somewhat of a binger still, and south central wisconsin is quite clouded up tonight and tomorrow any way :cry:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted