Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Best & Worst Places To Live

1. Apr 12, 2005 #1

SOS2008

Gold Member

In watching the many programs on the Science channel about natural disasters, such as an asteroid that is heading toward Earth, then last night the program about Yellowstone and Super Volcanoes, and after that the "Journey to Planet Earth" series on PBS, I find a process of thought as follows:

The asteroid and Super Volcano not only are not likely in my lifetime, but if either did happen there is not a best place to be when it happens. Then with regard to predictions of another earth quake and mega Tsunami I think we better evacuate the Northwest PF HQ. But with global warming and rising water levels, I think I'm glad I'm not living in a low-lying coastal city like NY, Washington DC, Miami, etc. But before that happens there will be heat waves, and I think I better get out of this desert, but where to, and with overpopulation, where will there be water? So before I start looking for a job somewhere and putting my home up for sale, what are other PF member's thoughts on this?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2005 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think most of these problems are too long term to concern yourself with for any immediate decisions. I certainly wouldn't buy a home on the beach or near a river. And I wouldn't build a home on a 100 year flood plain. Aside from that, the biggest real threat that I see is terrorism in the big cities. But even then, the odds of dying in an auto accident make that the greatest real threat of all. So I suggest that you keep your brakes serviced, keep good tires, wear your selt belt, and drive carefully to your new home of choice. :biggrin:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  4. Apr 12, 2005 #3
    I live in NY so I'll probably see that killer tidal wave, earthquake, etc.. when I'm in heaven

5. Apr 12, 2005 #4

SOS2008

Gold Member

I knew I could count on you Ivan, but are you sure I don't have to worry about more record temperatures in coming summers--maybe at least put a little aside for my A/C bill in the meantime? Invest in Pioneer Hybrid? (Okay, maybe I just wanted an excuse to build a cabin up north, and I was hoping to get PF members to help out...)

Some more things on my mind...

1) Is dual citizenship allowed in the US? (Just wondering...)
    2) Should I change my PF name? If so, please make suggestions. (Or maybe I should just use a symbol with formerly SOS underneath?)
    3) Olives have been dropping off my olive tree like crazy this year. I wonder if these could be processed for consumption...?
    4) Should I get back to work? Yes!

Thanks!

6. Apr 12, 2005 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey, I'm all for a cabin in the North - we did that you know [not a cabin but close enough, and not Canada, but Oregon]. And yes, dual citizenship is allowed. As for local variations in temperature as a function of global warming, I don't know how significant this will be in the next two decades, but it is not likely to be significant in terms of sensible temperure differences. From what I gather, we can expect more warmer days and stronger and more frequent storms. But I am very concerned about the next generation of kids and the world they will be handed.

7. Apr 12, 2005 #6
    I've seen that series Journey to Planet Earth too. It can be a bit depressing, though the real intent is to make people aware of environment issues, etc. (assuming people watch channels like PBS is large enough numbers?). What did impress me was that of illegal immigration, and how this recent and ever increasing number of people flooding into the high-tech environment of the US is adding to the number of people emitting the largest amount of greenhouse gases.--That's one I hadn't thought about before. Also with regard to water resources, the rivers of South America are the largest source of water, but unfortunately the most inaccessible to ever growing populations.

8. Apr 12, 2005 #7

Danger

Gold Member

There's still that imaginatively decorated corner of my basement, if you have no serious aversion to a trapeze and an iron maiden. :wink:
    You know you're always welcome. :tongue2:

9. Apr 12, 2005 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did your girlfriend pop?

I told you not to use so much air pressure. :biggrin:

10. Apr 12, 2005 #9

Danger

Gold Member

It wasn't the pressure; I forgot to swap in the rubber spikes. :frown:

11. Apr 12, 2005 #10
    Maybe if you acclimate yourself to a harsh environment now it won't be as difficult to cope if the world goes topsy turvy. Build a house on Ayers Rock in AUS and live there summers, and keep a yurt on the Mongolian plains in the summer. Take weekend trips to the Gobi with your family and gather water from condensation on plastic sheets in the morning. Then when the supervolcano happens it will be like a walk in the park.

Huck

12. Apr 12, 2005 #11

SOS2008

Gold Member

Hmm, lets see. A basement year around or a few months of heat wave, a basement or a heat wave...
    :rofl: You know, I have a similar theory called "dirt theory" based on the belief that one should be exposed to germs to keep the immune system strong. What shall we call your theory? Hmm...Accelerated Evolution?

13. Apr 12, 2005 #12

SOS2008

Gold Member

:rofl:

Right...look who's talking. Set Tsu free, set Tsu free! Hey, maybe she could help with my cabin--Tsu, I'll have green apple martinis... :biggrin:

I'll take it no one knows about olives...

14. Apr 12, 2005 #13

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I'm a dual national. If I disappear in the next few days, you'll know it's not ok. :uhh:

15. Apr 12, 2005 #14

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Hey, I watched a show on the Food Network about brining/curing olives and making oil. :wink:

We could make some great dirty martinis. :tongue2:

16. Apr 12, 2005 #15

SOS2008

Gold Member

:rofl: I thought so about the citizenship. We've already had the "Three Faces of Evo," and now we have "Saving Evo" or maybe "Finding Evo?" (I'm still working on a symbol for my new name... :tongue: I should ask the folks in physics if there is anything to represent demented thinking--oh wait, that would be Moonbear.)

17. Apr 12, 2005 #16
    Dirt theory sounds good to me. Does that mean I shouldn't take a shower?
    umm, maybe climactic conditioning. No that's not a theory.
    maybe just the yurt theory. Can't forget it that way.

Huck

18. Apr 12, 2005 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can tell you alllllll about olives. I once lived in the olive capitol of something or other...north of Sacramento. When I moved there I was told to try a fresh olive, right off the tree; Mmmmmmm . If you've never tried one, you haven't lived!

:rolleyes:

Edit: okay really, don't try it.

19. Apr 12, 2005 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh yes, based on my experience in the valley, olives seem to like the daily high temp around 140 degrees F.

20. Apr 12, 2005 #19

Danger

Gold Member

Yeah... but a basement with an iron maiden! :tongue2:

What's the other one...?

:rofl: :approve:

No wonder Popeye always looks so sweaty.

21. Apr 12, 2005 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://lolivier-sonoma.com/mediacenter/1112.htm

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?