The building of a proton accelerator

In summary, a 7th grader wants to build a proton accelerator with a budget of less than $400, but this may not be feasible due to the high costs and technical challenges involved. The process of ionizing hydrogen and maintaining it in a proton beam would require ultra-high vacuum conditions, expensive equipment, and precautions to prevent radiation sickness. It is possible to build a cloud chamber for observing cosmic ray interactions within this budget, but constructing a proton accelerator may be beyond the capabilities and resources of a 7th grader.
PHYSICS!:-) said:
"and you used PROTONS for such a thing?"

was that a reply to my post? no, we haven't built it, nor will we ever build it without the help of our local Physics department, at the local University. If we do actually build it, we will most likely try and use protons.

Then maybe you might want to read the thread all over again. You are suggesting to the OP that this is entirely possible, and the OP wants to build a PROTON ACCELERATOR, in case you didn't notice.

There's a BIG difference between a proton and an electron accelerator. An electron accelerator can actually be quite simple - your old TV can be considered as an electron accelerator. A proton accelerator is a completely different BEAST,and if you know nothing about it, it is irresponsible to suggest that such a thing can be built, the least of which is the SAFETY concerns, and Vanadium had alluded to. Protons can cause a lot of damage, as in radiation damage and activation. This should not be taken lightly.

This is where a little knowledge can be VERY dangerous.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
ZapperZ said:
Then maybe you might want to read the thread all over again. You are suggesting to the OP that this is entirely possible, and the OP wants to build a PROTON ACCELERATOR, in case you didn't notice.

There's a BIG difference between a proton and an electron accelerator. An electron accelerator can actually be quite simple - your old TV can be considered as an electron accelerator. A proton accelerator is a completely different BEAST,and if you know nothing about it, it is irresponsible to suggest that such a thing can be built, the least of which is the SAFETY concerns, and Vanadium had alluded to. Protons can cause a lot of damage, as in radiation damage and activation. This should not be taken lightly.

This is where a little knowledge can be VERY dangerous.

Zz.

well, if you had read my post all the way through, i never said we were going to use them, we will try, bu ton ly if we have the right labratory environmetn and safety equipment to do so. I might only be in 9th grade, but i have common sense. -.-

I might only be in 9th grade, but i have common sense.

And that is precisely the problem. "Common sense" is derived from experience (as they say "good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment") and most people have very little experience with the sort of risks that are present. The problem isn't that you think you'll be doing something unsafe - the problem arises is when you think you're doing something safe.

I would suggest that the common-sense reply to "electrons are safer than protons" is "gee - there's no real reason I need to use protons, so maybe I should use electrons" rather than "I'll be extra-extra careful".

Zapperz, don't you find it a little amusing that two high school students, neither of whom has actually built an accelerator, are giving each other advice? And ignoring advice from someone who has?

well, if you had read my post all the way through, i never said we were going to use them, we will try, bu ton ly if we have the right labratory environmetn and safety equipment to do so. I might only be in 9th grade, but i have common sense. -.-

I doubt that you do.

This thread is done.

Zz.