The Bullet Cluster: 1E0657-56 vs. 1E0657-558

• I
  • Thread starter Ranku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bullet
In summary, there is confusion surrounding the taxonomy of the Bullet Cluster, which is also known as 1E0657-56 and 1ES 0657-558. While NED returns information for 1E0657-56, it is unable to find anything for 1ES 0657-558. This could be due to a typo or a new name given by the author of a referenced paper. The complexity of extragalactic object taxonomy is comparable to that of biological taxonomy, with multiple binomials referencing the same thing.
Ranku
The Bullet Cluster is referenced as 1E0657-56; but sometimes references quote 1E0657-558. Are they both referring to the same Bullet Cluster?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
NED returns Bullet Cluster information for 1E0657-56, but is unable to find anything fro 1E0657-558. I have never seen this used. Where did you find it?

@phyzguy, it's 1ES 0657-558. That's why you can't find it.

• Informative
Likes Ranku and phyzguy
So the answer to the OP's question is yes, 1E0657-56, and 1ES 0657-558 both refer to the same cluster.

• Informative
Likes Ranku
phyzguy said:
NED returns Bullet Cluster information for 1E0657-56, but is unable to find anything fro 1E0657-558. I have never seen this used. Where did you find it?
For instance it is referenced in this paper and this is the referenced paper.

FWIW the database has 20 cross-ids, and none match. So either the author of the primary article came up with a new name or it is a typo. And maybe should be added to the database(?) I do not know.

As you can tell the "taxonomy" of extragalactic objects is confusing at first glance. I'm a biologist so I'm used to this kind of taxonomic tangle. We call each one of multiple different biological binomials for the same thing, 'nomen confusum'. For a good reason.

• Haha
Likes Ranku

Related to The Bullet Cluster: 1E0657-56 vs. 1E0657-558

1. What is the Bullet Cluster?

The Bullet Cluster, also known as 1E0657-56, is a galaxy cluster located approximately 3.8 billion light years away from Earth. It is named after its bullet-like shape and is composed of two separate clusters of galaxies that are in the process of colliding with each other.

2. What is 1E0657-558?

1E0657-558 is another galaxy cluster located in the same region as the Bullet Cluster. It is also involved in the collision with the Bullet Cluster and is often compared to it in scientific studies.

3. What makes the Bullet Cluster unique?

The Bullet Cluster is unique because it provides evidence for the existence of dark matter. Scientists were able to observe the separation of visible matter (galaxies) and dark matter during the collision, providing strong evidence for the existence of this elusive substance.

4. How was the Bullet Cluster discovered?

The Bullet Cluster was first discovered in 1996 by scientists using the ROSAT X-ray telescope. However, it wasn't until 2006 that the unique properties of the cluster were fully understood and its significance in the study of dark matter was realized.

5. What impact has the Bullet Cluster had on our understanding of the universe?

The Bullet Cluster has had a significant impact on our understanding of the universe, particularly in the study of dark matter. Its observation has provided strong evidence for the existence of dark matter and has helped scientists to better understand the role it plays in the formation and evolution of galaxies and galaxy clusters.