Which Star Trek Captains Faced Personal Toll for Their Iconic Roles?

In summary, "The Captains" is a documentary film about the actors who have portrayed Starship captains in the science-fiction franchise "Star Trek", directed and written by William Shatner. The film explores the personal toll that these roles have taken on the actors' lives, including Shatner's own struggles after the original series ended. The documentary also features interviews with other actors, such as Kate Mulgrew and Avery Brooks, who share their experiences with the franchise. "The Captains" is available for streaming on Netflix and has received positive reviews from viewers.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The Captains is a feature length documentary film written and directed by William Shatner. The film follows Shatner as he interviews the other actors whom have portrayed Starship captains within the illustrious science-fiction franchise...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1946421/

I almost had to force myself to watch this, but out of curiosity I did and was quite surprised. It drags at times but was often interesting. What I found to be most interesting was the central theme of the huge personal toll these rolls took on their lives.

I already knew this but Shatner references it in the film. After the original series, little did my friends and I know, he was broke and living in a trailer in the San Fernando valley; just about 40 minutes away.

Kate Mulgrew said that to this day, her kids never have and will not watch Voyager. They still resent that it took so much of her time.

Avery Brooks is one strange dude.

It is available for streaming, at Netflix.

Physics news on Phys.org
Voyager was like the best one too I feel sorry for Kate now she will never know how the voyage gets home!

Why wouldn't Kate know? Aside from here being there for filming, it's her kids who've never watched it.

Ivan Seeking said:
Avery Brooks is one strange dude.

Man, is he ever but I love him.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AECEnj6r6k8

I saw The Captains a few months ago and enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk-Iruh7x1M

Related to Which Star Trek Captains Faced Personal Toll for Their Iconic Roles?

1. Who are the "Captains of Star Trek"?

The "Captains of Star Trek" refer to the main characters and leaders of the various Star Trek television series and movies. These include Captain James T. Kirk from the original series, Captain Jean-Luc Picard from The Next Generation, Captain Benjamin Sisko from Deep Space Nine, Captain Kathryn Janeway from Voyager, Captain Jonathan Archer from Enterprise, and Captain Christopher Pike from Discovery.

2. How many "Captains of Star Trek" are there?

There are six main captains in the Star Trek franchise. However, there have also been other captains featured in various episodes and movies, such as Captain Spock and Captain Hikaru Sulu.

3. Who is considered the most iconic "Captain of Star Trek"?

The most iconic and well-known "Captain of Star Trek" is often considered to be Captain James T. Kirk, portrayed by William Shatner in the original series and subsequent movies. Kirk's character is known for his bravery, leadership, and charisma, making him a fan favorite for many years.

4. How do the "Captains of Star Trek" differ from each other?

Each of the "Captains of Star Trek" has their own unique personalities, leadership styles, and backgrounds. For example, Captain Kirk is known for his bold and daring actions, while Captain Picard is known for his diplomatic skills and intellectual approach. Each captain also leads a different crew on a different type of starship, adding to their differences.

5. Are there any female "Captains of Star Trek"?

Yes, there are two female "Captains of Star Trek": Captain Kathryn Janeway from Voyager and Captain Philippa Georgiou from Discovery. Both captains are strong and capable leaders who have made a lasting impact on the franchise. Additionally, there have been other female captains featured in various episodes and movies, such as Captain Rachel Garrett and Captain Erika Hernandez.

Back