How can I determine the centre of mass of a fork with varying thickness?

In summary, the conversation discusses a difficult homework question involving breaking down a fork and applying equations. The person attempting the question has tried using rectangles and triangles, but is having trouble with the changing thickness. The other person suggests approximations, such as using a rectangular top and angled connecting part.
wambam

Homework Statement

Refer to attachments, this question is insane.

Homework Equations

Yet to determine how to break down the fork and which equations to apply

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to break down the fork into rectangles and triangles, any suggestions about how to approach this problem? The changing thickness allows poses some confusion for me!

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 485
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    21 KB · Views: 470
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 630
Physics news on Phys.org
Hah, at least the fork has symmetry on one axis. I don't know, I imagine you can get away with a bunch of approximations. For example you could make the top part of the fork rectangular, and the connecting part like a board at an angle.

What is the centre of mass of a fork?

The centre of mass of a fork is the point at which the entire weight of the fork can be considered to act. It is the point at which the fork would balance perfectly if placed on a pivot.

Why is the centre of mass important for a fork?

The centre of mass is important for a fork because it determines the fork's stability and balance when being held or placed on a surface. It also affects how the fork moves and rotates when in use.

How is the centre of mass of a fork calculated?

The centre of mass of a fork can be calculated by finding the average position of all the individual mass points that make up the fork. This can be done using a mathematical formula or by physically balancing the fork on a pivot.

Does the centre of mass of a fork change?

Yes, the centre of mass of a fork can change depending on the position and distribution of the fork's mass. For example, if food is added to the fork, the centre of mass will shift towards the heavier end of the fork.

Why is the centre of mass of a fork not always at the geometric centre?

The centre of mass of a fork is not always at the geometric centre because the fork's weight is not evenly distributed throughout its structure. The tines (prongs) of the fork are usually thinner and lighter compared to the handle, causing the centre of mass to shift towards the handle.