The change in entropy in adiabatic process

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of entropy and its relationship to an adiabatic process. The definition of entropy as a measure of disorder in a system is mentioned, as well as the connection between temperature and the motion of molecules according to the kinetic theory of gas. The question of whether there is a change in entropy in an adiabatic process is also raised, with a request for an explanation without using the entropy equation. The response is provided that if the process is reversible, there is no change in entropy, but if it is irreversible, entropy increases. The equation is not used in the explanation.
huyhohoang
Hello everyone, I still wonder if there's a change in entropy in adiabatic process. The definition of entropy is a quantity represents for the disorder state of a system. Arccording to kinetic theory of gas, temperature is for the state of chaotic motion of molecules. So I'm very confuse, can someone explain for me without using the entropy equation ΔS=∫dQ/T ?
Thanks a lot!

Science news on Phys.org
huyhohoang said:
Hello everyone, I still wonder if there's a change in entropy in adiabatic process. The definition of entropy is a quantity represents for the disorder state of a system. Arccording to kinetic theory of gas, temperature is for the state of chaotic motion of molecules. So I'm very confuse, can someone explain for me without using the entropy equation ΔS=∫dQ/T ?
Thanks a lot!
If the adiabatic process is reversible, then the entropy doesn't change. If the adiabatic process is irreversible, the entropy increases. There, I didn't use the equation.

Chet

1. What is an adiabatic process?

An adiabatic process is a thermodynamic process in which there is no transfer of heat or matter between a system and its surroundings. This means that the system is isolated and does not exchange energy or matter with its environment.

2. How does the change in entropy occur in an adiabatic process?

The change in entropy in an adiabatic process is caused by changes in the internal energy of the system. As the system performs work, its internal energy decreases, leading to a decrease in entropy. On the other hand, if work is done on the system, its internal energy increases and results in an increase in entropy.

3. What is the relationship between the change in entropy and temperature in an adiabatic process?

In an adiabatic process, the change in entropy is directly related to the change in temperature. As the temperature of the system decreases, the change in entropy also decreases. Similarly, as the temperature increases, the change in entropy increases.

4. Can the change in entropy be negative in an adiabatic process?

Yes, the change in entropy can be negative in an adiabatic process. This happens when work is done on the system, causing an increase in its internal energy and a decrease in entropy.

5. How is the change in entropy related to the first and second law of thermodynamics in an adiabatic process?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. In an adiabatic process, there is no transfer of energy, so the first law is still satisfied. The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will never decrease over time. In an adiabatic process, the change in entropy may decrease, but the total entropy of the system and its surroundings will still remain constant or increase.