Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News The Changing American Dream

Tags:
  1. Sep 8, 2013 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The Great Recession and aftermath have apparently changed perceptions regarding home ownerhip and financial security.

The New American Dream: It's Not What You Think
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/american-dream-not-think-173054394.html

Usually owning a home means going into debt, i.e., paying a mortgage, for some time, unless one has substantial assets.

Do folks see owning a home or living debt-free as eventualities? Is retirement at 65 to 70 feasible?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2013 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The idea of owning a home appeals to me because I want to solve my own problems. Leaky faucet? Weeds in the yard? I don't want to have to ask someone to fix these things - I want to do it.

And if I want to plant a garden, or build a fence, or install an irrigation system, or get a dog, I don't want to have to ask if I can. That would make me feel like a kid asking my parent for something.

These kinds of things are a bigger deal to me than having a mortgage.

And I think the younger generation will eventually want to be their own bosses, too. Certainly, the recession has made an enormous impression on young people, but eventually they will "heal". They will eventually want to own their own homes, I think.

4. Sep 9, 2013 #3
    I found it a bit surprising that more cared about retiring at 65 than they did about saving for sending a kid to collage (only 8 % o_O). Maybe it could be explained by the fact that the poll was aimed at young people, and they haven't thought of kids yet.

One positive thing though, I think it's in general good that the young people are becoming more aware of debt problems, because this means that they are going to be more reasonable when it comes to fixing also the US national debt. Lowering the US debts will likely involve normally unpopular things like tax increases, and it will probably be a lot easier to take the necessary decisions here if the people are understanding of the issues.

5. Sep 9, 2013 #4
    Only for the richest members of society, but it has always been that way hasn't it?

I'm older than the survey respondents, in my early 30s. The dream of owning a home is certainly gone for me, they are still too expensive and they tie you down to the mercy of the local economy and taxes.

6. Sep 9, 2013 #5

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Retiring by 65 is only available to the richest members of society? No, that's not correct

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100744474

The average retirement age has recently risen to 61. In the 90s everyone was retiring in their 50s.

7. Sep 9, 2013 #6

Astronuc

I was looking at my social security statement recently, and it mentions the change in the law regarding SS benefits. For those born in 1980 and later, retirement age was increased to 67 and they are encouraging people to defer SS benefits until 70 or as late as possible. This would presuppose that one has alternative means, e.g., pension, savings, 401K. And if one has children, then likely one wants to leave an inheritance of some kind.

Over the past 3 decades, I have seen pensions shrink, or disappear, and many companies. I've seen middle-aged professionals basically dumped because they are considered too expensive to support. I now see people who should be retired competing for low paying jobs that would normally be taken by high school or college students, or those with a high school degree.

Of course, I've know folks who 'retired' then continued to work into their 80s.

At the same time, the article has mentioned burgeoning consumer (credit card) and student loan debt. That is very worrisome considering the precarious state of the economy.

8. Sep 9, 2013 #7

mheslep

Gold Member

The yahoo article is irksome in that it paints the current economic problems as part of some inevitable changes to American economics like they were the movements of a continental plate, which avoids messy finger pointing at policy choices of the current political leadership. Change is inevitable, but I say this particular set of circumstances are not.

9. Sep 9, 2013 #8
    Another article that may be relevant to the discussion:

Mind the (Expectations) Gap

10. Sep 9, 2013 #9

Ryan_m_b

In many European countries life-time renting is the norm, it's not the end of the world not to buy a house.

11. Sep 9, 2013 #10
    Yahoo news is terrible. Worse than Fox, I take nothing they say seriously.

Most of what they write is entirely irrelevant and/or sensationalistic.

This article is no exception.

12. Sep 9, 2013 #11
    Also "Great Recession", hardly. Unemployment spiked, but it's not as bad as it was in the 80s (and certainly less than the 30s), and it's coming down. Median income hasn't really changed, although it did dip a (tiny) bit recently.

There was a recession, but it's nowhere near the same league as the Depression of the 20s/30s.

13. Sep 10, 2013 #12

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The survey cut across age lines and priorities were different for different age groups (debt and financial surveys were important among all age groups, even if not the top priority within each age group, hence the high ranking).

I don't see anything unhealthy in a person considering saving for their own retirement to be at least as high a priority as paying for their kids college education. A person does what they can for their kids, but tilting so far that the parent is living in poverty so the kids can live in luxury is going to a bit of an extreme.

Preparing for your kids future should be like when the oxygen masks drop down from the roof of the plane. Put the mask over your own face first, then over the face of whichever of your kids seems to hold the most promise for the future.

14. Sep 13, 2013 #13

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, the American Dream for young people could be something completely different than for the baby boomers. Average is Over

15. Sep 13, 2013 #14

russ_watters

Though he doesn't say it explicitly, he vaguely alludes to the false (but popular!) idea that increasing inequality means increasing poverty.

16. Sep 13, 2013 #15

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I'm not paying for my kid's college (I have two). My parents didn't pay for mine (but they helped). I did loans for undergrad and am teaching/research for grad. It's the only way to go imo. Kids I knew that had college paid for where not quite as serious in my limited sample space.

17. Sep 13, 2013 #16

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I was just thinking about what retirement meant for me and owning a home and doing a lot of camping and sailing in the summers was it.

18. Sep 13, 2013 #17

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How much of this "new dream" is just reverting to the mean, after the 2 or 3 decades of distortion from the credit bubble?

Clearly it's not a perfect repetition, since for young people the principle of student loans to fund mass higher education is a new twist. But as Mark Twain said, "history doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme".

19. Sep 13, 2013 #18

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

3 decades of credit bubble? In 1984 the prime rate was 12 or 13%!

What I don't get is the language used - like debt is something that just happens to people. "I was walking down the street, minding my own business, not bothering anyone, and suddenly I was $50,000 in debt!"

20. Sep 14, 2013 #19

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Happens more often than you think.

Pay for a year of college (or collage for the less fortunate) at a good school, $50,000 if you don't shop wisely.

Need a new car (average price now approx. $30,000, and about to get much more expensive when the average fuel economy rules say cars must get 50 mpg or whatever fantasy number the politicians pull out of their ...)

Want to put a down payment on a home, but dang, you happen to live on the Left or Right Coast.

But before you get your new salt box, you want to get married, but your intended is a Bridezilla.

21. Sep 14, 2013 #20

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

And are people required, to pick on your second example, to buy a new car? Does someone hold a gun to their head?

I've gone into debt for all of those things you mention, except for the Bridezilla. In all cases it was because I made a decision to do so, not because debt somehow befell me through no action of my own.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook