1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I The circuit of the induction coil

1. Dec 20, 2017 #1
    When we turn the circuit off . There will be an induced emf through the coil due to the changing magnetic field of the AC . Therefore V=-L . DI/Dt
    So when the current is zero then the emf has a maximum value . And what about the emf of the source itself ? It's equal to the induced emf? If It has the same value and an opposite direction whey they don't cancel each other out ?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2017 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What circuit? Can you be more specific and describe it, even better can you post it as a figure?

4. Dec 21, 2017 #3

5. Dec 21, 2017 #4

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, I see. The voltmeter cannot detect an instantaneous voltage, which is what you are talking about. You will get a better picture of the instantaneous voltage if you connect an oscilloscope across the induction coil.

6. Dec 21, 2017 #5
    I got it ... So It only detects the voltage between the coil .
    So what I said about the sum of the voltages is right ?

7. Dec 21, 2017 #6

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

According to the Kirchhoff rule, the sum of the voltages around the closed circuit is zero at any time. That is always the case.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted