Does the Size of Grit Affect the Coefficient of Friction?

In summary: You would need to calculate the frictional forces at each point on the interface and use those to calculate the COF.
Nick tringali
Hello physics forums,
I recently carried out an experiment testing the coefficient of friction of different grit sandpaper
My data supports that when you raise grit you decrease the cof.
My problem is WHY, why does the size of the grit have any impact on the coefficient of friction. Any ideas would help.

Physics news on Phys.org
To get the ball rolling, what really your ideas? How does sandpaper create friction? Does that mechanism change with the grit?

Ok so when the grit is around 2000 it feels like paper but when the grit is 50 it feels rough so here are some ideas
-There is more space between the particles in the 50 grit (but why does that make a difference physicaly
-There is more penatration into the surfaces
Thats all i got

Nick tringali said:
Ok so when the grit is around 2000 it feels like paper but when the grit is 50 it feels rough so here are some ideas
-There is more space between the particles in the 50 grit (but why does that make a difference physicaly
-There is more penatration into the surfaces
Thats all i got
Sand paper is rough but... Why does rough raise the cof is what I am geting at

Imagine you had two sheets of very coarse sandpaper with the rough surfaces together. Try sketching an enlarged cross section. What would have to happen for them to slide over each other?

The grits work bump into each other

Thats easy. As the roughness increases, the number of points of contact / area will reduce.

Stiction per point of contact, x reduced number of contacts / area = ∆µ < 0

Last edited:
Likes mechpeac and Nick tringali
Stuart21 said:
Thats easy. As the roughness increases, the number of points of contact / area will reduce.

Stiction per point of contact, x reduced number of contacts / area = ∆µ ≤ 0 (hold the equals - don't have a 'less than')
Thanks bud

Are there any formulas with mu and number of contact points?

I don't think COF is a valid / useful quantity for all surfaces. The reason that COF is a useful quantity in many cases can be explained by the change in area of contact between faces in contact if the normal force changes. If you are dealing with a pair of surfaces which don't follow Hooke's Law then more coefficients are needed than COF to describe what happens. Sandpaper is a bit like two sets of gear teeth and the friction there is very non-linear (infinite until the teeth actually break).

Likes Nick tringali
Thanks so there are no related formulas that come to mind?

Nick tringali said:
Thanks so there are no related formulas that come to mind?
Either use the old favourite one or, when that fails, you have to get down to specifics of each surface profile, I would think. I wouldn't look for a "formula", as such.

Likes Nick tringali

What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measurement that describes the resistance of two surfaces to sliding against each other. It is represented by the symbol "μ" and is unitless.

What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is influenced by several factors, including the nature of the two surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the amount of force applied, and the presence of any lubricants.

Why is the coefficient of friction important?

The coefficient of friction is crucial in understanding the behavior of objects in motion. It helps engineers and scientists determine the amount of force needed to move an object and the potential for slipping or skidding.

How is the coefficient of friction measured?

The coefficient of friction is typically measured using a device called a tribometer, which applies a known force to two surfaces and measures the resulting frictional force. It can also be calculated by dividing the frictional force by the normal force between the two surfaces.

What are some real-world applications of the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is used in various industries, such as automotive, manufacturing, and sports, to design and improve products and processes. It is also essential in understanding the behavior of natural phenomena, such as landslides and avalanches.