The collision between water and stone, stone-skipping science

In summary, stone skipping is a phenomenon where a thrown stone bounces off the surface of water multiple times. When thrown vertically, the stone may either bounce at least once or sink immediately. The collision between the stone and water is an inelastic collision, and the conservation of momentum can be applied to analyze it. In a study by physicists (paper 1), it was found that the stone will rebound if it is only partially immersed during the collision, with the condition |z| < a sin Θ, where z is the depth of the stone and Θ is the angle of impact. This means that if the stone is dropped vertically from a height, with Θ=0, it will not rebound since it will be fully immersed
iVenky
I am trying to understand the science of stone skipping.

First, if the stone is thrown vertically would it bounce at least once for any possible velocity or does it go down only?
What sort of collision is it when the stone touches the water and how to look at conservation of momentum in this case of stone skipping?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • Informative
Likes iVenky and berkeman
ZapperZ said:
Thanks, that really helped me. I read the papers. I am trying to understand why the author mentions (in paper 1) "the stone will rebound if it stays only partially immersed during the collision" at the beginning of page 3. And he mentions a condition |z| < a sin Θ. Does this mean even if I drop the stone vertically from a height, then Θ=0 which means it would never rebound? My confusion, wouldn't there still be a rebound force caused by the impact force > it's own mass so it should still be able to bounce (just like a ball dropped from a height on the ground). What am I doing wrong here?

Related to The collision between water and stone, stone-skipping science

1. How does the surface tension of water affect stone-skipping?

The surface tension of water is what allows a stone to skip across the surface. When a stone is thrown at the right angle and speed, it creates a depression in the water's surface which causes the water molecules to push back and create a force that propels the stone forward. The stronger the surface tension, the more bounces the stone can make.

2. What type of stones are best for skipping?

The best stones for skipping are flat, smooth, and round. Flat stones have a larger surface area and can create a bigger depression in the water, while smooth stones have less drag and can travel further. Round stones are more aerodynamic and can maintain their spin, making them more likely to skip multiple times.

3. Can the shape of the stone affect the number of skips?

Yes, the shape of the stone can greatly affect the number of skips. As mentioned before, round stones are more aerodynamic and can maintain their spin, allowing them to skip more times. However, some irregularly shaped stones may have unique features that can also help them skip, so it is not always a guarantee that a round stone will always skip the most.

4. What other factors besides the stone's properties can affect skipping distance?

The angle and speed at which the stone is thrown can greatly affect the distance it travels. The angle should be low, around 20 degrees, to create a shallow depression in the water. The speed should be high enough to create the necessary force, but not too high that it breaks through the surface tension. Other factors such as wind, water conditions, and the thrower's technique can also play a role in the distance the stone travels.

5. Is there a limit to how many times a stone can skip?

While there is no definite limit, the number of skips is limited by the stone's properties and the water's surface tension. The longest recorded stone skip was 88 times, but most stones can only skip around 3-5 times. However, with the right conditions and technique, it is possible for a stone to skip more times than expected.