The Curl is confusing me, just the determinant

In summary: The second is just expanded as:\left|\begin{array}{cc} \frac{\partial}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial}{\partial z} \\xyz & -x^{2}y \end{array}\right| =\frac{\partial}{\partial x}(-x^{2}y)-\frac{\partial}{\partial z}(xyz) =-x^{2}y\mathbf{j}-x^{2}y\mathbf
flyingpig

Homework Statement

Find the curl of the vector field

[tex]\mathbf{F} = <xyz,0,-x^2 y>[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am mostly just having problems with computing the determinant. I could just go with crossing the first row and first column. But i noticed that the intermediate step

[tex]\begin{vmatrix}
\frac{\partial }{\partial y} & \frac{\partial }{\partial z}\\
0& -x^2 y
\end{vmatrix}\hat{i}[/tex]

Like when we compute the 2 x 2 determinant, we multiply the elements together. But my question is that why we do take granted that multiplying the partial with respect to y with -x2y is equal to taking the partial of -x2y with respect to y?

Also, I tried crossing out from the bottom, where the 0 is to make the determinant easier and I got a different answer. I also tried using the Rule of Sarrus for this 3 x 3 matrix and I also got a different answer.

The one with the Rule of Sarrus is a bit long to type out, so i will only show the one where I crossed with the 0 (I think it's called the co-factor expansion or something)

So crossing the bottom row and first column I get

[tex]\begin{vmatrix}
\hat{i} & \hat{j} &\hat{k} \\
\frac{\partial }{\partial x} &\frac{\partial }{\partial y} & \frac{\partial }{\partial z}\\
xyz & 0 & -x^2 y
\end{vmatrix} = xyz\begin{vmatrix} \hat{j} & \hat{k}\\\frac{\partial }{\partial y} & \frac{\partial }{\partial z}\end{vmatrix} - x^2 y \begin{vmatrix} \hat{i}&\hat{j}\\\frac{\partial }{\partial x}&\frac{\partial }{\partial y}\end{vmatrix} = xyz\left(\frac{\partial\hat{j} }{\partial z}- \frac{\partial \hat{k}}{\partial y}\right) -x^2 y \left ( \frac{\partial \hat{i}}{\partial y}- \frac{\partial \hat{j}}{\partial x} \right )[/tex]

The Solution

[PLAIN]http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/1914/unledzw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
flyingpig said:
But my question is that why we do take granted that multiplying the partial with respect to y with -x2y is equal to taking the partial of -x2y with respect to y?
It's just a notation -- the operator is applied to the vector components (bottom row) and are collected with the directions i, j, k (first row).

So, keeping that in mind, you can expand along the third row like this:
[tex]\begin{vmatrix}
\hat{i} & \hat{j} &\hat{k} \\
\frac{\partial }{\partial x} &\frac{\partial }{\partial y} & \frac{\partial }{\partial z}\\
xyz & 0 & -x^2 y
\end{vmatrix}
= \begin{vmatrix} \hat{j} & \hat{k}\\\frac{\partial }{\partial y} & \frac{\partial }{\partial z}\end{vmatrix} xyz
- \begin{vmatrix} \hat{i}&\hat{j}\\\frac{\partial }{\partial x}&\frac{\partial }{\partial y}\end{vmatrix} x^2 y
= \left(\hat{j} \frac{\partial }{\partial z} - \hat{k}\frac{\partial }{\partial y} \right) xyz
- \left(\hat{i} \frac{\partial }{\partial y} - \hat{j}\frac{\partial }{\partial x} \right) x^2 y \\
= -x^2 \hat{i} + 3xy \hat{j} -xz \hat{k}
[/tex]

(Often it's easier to collect by going along the first row just so you get i,j,k terms together).

I still confused.

1. Is there even a meaning to taking the partial derivative to those "hat" vectors? (at first I thought they were just one and so the derivative is 0, but that was just stupid and I couldn't come up with a good explanation why that is wrong)

2. In [tex]\left(\hat{j} \frac{\partial }{\partial z} - \hat{k}\frac{\partial }{\partial y} \right) xyz
- \left(\hat{i} \frac{\partial }{\partial y} - \hat{j}\frac{\partial }{\partial x} \right) x^2 y \\
= -x^2 \hat{i} + 3xy \hat{j} -xz \hat{k}[/tex], aren't you still just "distributing" the xyz and x2y into the brackets? Isn't that just multiplying and not really taking the derivative?

It's implied that you take the derivative.

1. The hat vectors are constant unit vectors which point along the axes: i = (1,0,0), j = (0,1,0), k = (0,0,1). It's just easier to write i, j, k than writing out the vectors. So if you take derivatives they just go outside, e.g., d(2f(x))/dx = 2 df(x)/dx. That still leaves the operator d/dx.

2. The operator notation means "take the derivative." So if I write d/dx f(x) that means take the derivative of f(x) with respect to x, or the same as d/dx f(x) = df(x)/dx.

3. I think you're seeing that "determinant" formula for the curl has some pitfalls. You're right in noticing that, for example, f(x) d/dx should be different from d/dx f(x). So I guess it's best to remember that this is a way to remember the curl in Cartesian coordinates, but it's not properly a determinant. If there's ever confusion about the order, just expand along i, j, k first.

1)[tex]\frac{\partial }{\partial y}\hat{i} = \frac{\partial }{\partial y}<1,0,0> = 0[/tex]

How does that go "outside"?

And this is why I don't like using the determinant method to teach curl.

The derivative of a constant is zero.

The derivative of the product of a constant and a function is the constant times the derivative of the function --- as usual.

Char. Limit said:
The other ways don't seem any easier to remember, though.

olivermsun said:
The other ways don't seem any easier to remember, though.

This is true. However, they are also not an abuse of notation.

The curl is in your question is calculated as:

[tex]
\nabla\times\mathbf{F}=\left|
\begin{array}{ccc}
\mathbf{i} & \mathbf{j} & \mathbf{k} \\
\frac{\partial}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial}{\partial y} & \frac{\partial}{\partial z} \\
xyz & 0 & -x^{2}y
\end{array}\right|
[/tex]

This is now expanded in the usual way:

[tex]
\nabla\times\mathbf{F} =\left|
\begin{array}{cc}
\frac{\partial}{\partial y} & \frac{\partial}{\partial z} \\
0 & -x^{2}y
\end{array}\right|\mathbf{i}-\left|
\begin{array}{cc}
\frac{\partial}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial}{\partial z} \\
xyz & -x^{2}y
\end{array}\right|\mathbf{j}+\left|
\begin{array}{cc}
\frac{\partial}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial}{\partial y} \\
xyz & 0
\end{array}\right|\mathbf{k}
[/tex]

The first is just expanded as:

[tex]
\left|
\begin{array}{cc}
\frac{\partial}{\partial y} & \frac{\partial}{\partial z} \\
0 & -x^{2}y
\end{array}\right| =\frac{\partial}{\partial y}(-x^{2}y)-\frac{\partial}{\partial z}0=-x^{2}
[/tex]

Char. Limit said:
What method do you use then? I'm interested.

hunt_mat said:
What method do you use then? I'm interested.

Setting F = <Fx, Fy, Fz>, the curl of F is defined (in Cartesian coordinates) as:

[tex]curl F = \left(\frac{\partial F_z}{\partial y} - \frac{\partial F_y}{\partial z}\right) \hat{i} + \left(\frac{\partial F_x}{\partial z} - \frac{\partial F_z}{\partial x}\right) \hat{j} + \left(\frac{\partial F_y}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial F_x}{\partial y}\right) \hat{k}[/tex]

It's easy to remember when you look at the order of the first terms in each area. zy xz yx. And then the second term, you just flip the two.

Related to The Curl is confusing me, just the determinant

1. What is the curl of a vector field?

The curl of a vector field is a mathematical operation that calculates the tendency of the vector field to rotate around a point. It is represented by the symbol ∇ x and is also known as the rotational or circulation operator.

2. How is the curl related to the determinant?

The curl of a vector field can be calculated using the determinant of a 3x3 matrix. The matrix contains partial derivatives of the vector field's components with respect to the three spatial coordinates.

3. What does a positive curl value indicate?

A positive curl value indicates that the vector field is rotating in a counterclockwise direction around a point. This is also known as a "positive circulation".

4. How is the curl used in physics and engineering?

The curl is used in physics and engineering to study fluid dynamics, electromagnetics, and other physical phenomena that involve rotating or circulating quantities. It helps in understanding the behavior of vector fields and predicting their effects.

5. Can the curl be zero?

Yes, the curl can be zero for certain vector fields. This means that the vector field does not have any tendency to rotate or circulate around a point. In other words, the vector field is said to be "irrotational".