1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The current state of Navier-Stokes existence and smoothness

1. Jun 10, 2012 #1
    Can anyone point me to some publications or archives which feature developments in solving the N-S existence and smoothness problem? Basically, I'd like to read up about how far people have gone towards solving the problem, e.g. a new method to analyze the equations.

Also, what fields of mathematics and physics do the Navier-Stokes equations employ? I've taken differential equations (the class had barely any content on partial diffeq) and just physics I+II. Can I even begin to understand the equations in-depth without any other math or fluid mechanics?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2012 #2
    I don't know anything about status of the millenium problem. But the Navier-Stokes equations are just a partial differential equation. If and when you have a good handle on PDE's the Navier-Stokes equations are not too hard to understand. The physics they encode is quite simple--it's just the equivalent of F = ma except it describes a continuous medium instead of a point particle.

4. Jun 11, 2012 #3
    Regarding the math, I would guess that the theory of Sobolev spaces would be very relevant.

5. Jun 11, 2012 #4
    Okay, thanks for the heads up. I've since read a lot of explanations and derivations of the N-S equations, so I think the math isn't too bad. I'll read up about Sobolev spaces, though.

If anyone knows where I can read general science/math publications so that I can search for developments in this particular subject, I am still looking and would greatly appreciate a heads-up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook