The cursor of my laptop screen is oversensitive? How to stop it

In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with an overactive and oversensitive cursor on a laptop. The individual is seeking advice on how to adjust the sensitivity of the cursor and access the touch pad options. Suggestions are given to check for installed drivers and to search the control panel for touch pad settings. Additionally, the potential interference of a power adapter or electronic device is mentioned as a possible cause for the issue. The conversation concludes by mentioning the ability to adjust sensitivity through software, but the type of operating system and hardware must be known.
sameeralord
Hello everyone,

Recently the cursor of my laptop screen is so overactive and oversensitive. If I just click one thing, it clicks many things. If my cursor just moves near some folder or something, it quickly opens even when I didn't click it. How can I get my cursor to normal sensitivity. Thanks :smile:

From the cursor what I mean is the mouse like thing in the laptop. Even when I touch it a bit, the cursor moves so far away.

Computer science news on Phys.org
It's called a touch pad.
Do you have tohe drivers installed for it? If so, it will usually provide options for reducing the sensitivity and the "pressure" needed for a click

Hey thanks for the reply. I think the drivers are installed (I didn't install anything externally, when I bought the laptop all the drivers were originally installed and touch pad was working well, i haven't changed anything from there?. How do I access the options for touch pad . Do I check in control panel? What do I search there? Can you tell how to access the panel. Thanks :smile:

What is the model of your Laptop?
You can try searching the control panel. My laptop have it's touch pad settings there.

I got this issue recently. for me, the power adapter of the speakers was causing this problem. its " noise" was interfering with the touchpad, just verify that you don't have any power adapter plugged in, or any electronic device near the laptop, and see if this problem persists.

The sensitivity can usually be adjusted in software. But, we need to know what OS (and maybe what kind of machine hardware) you are running.

1. Why is the cursor of my laptop screen oversensitive?

The cursor of your laptop screen may be oversensitive due to a variety of reasons. It could be caused by a faulty touchpad, outdated drivers, or incorrect touchpad settings. It could also be a result of accidentally enabling a feature like "tap to click" or "tap and drag".

2. How can I tell if my cursor is oversensitive?

If your cursor is moving too quickly or erratically, or if it is difficult to control and ends up clicking or highlighting unintended items, then it is likely oversensitive.

3. How can I stop my cursor from being oversensitive?

There are a few different ways to address an oversensitive cursor. You can adjust the sensitivity settings in your laptop's control panel or settings menu. You can also try updating your touchpad drivers or disabling any features that may be causing the issue. If these solutions do not work, it may be necessary to have your touchpad repaired or replaced.

4. Can I prevent my cursor from becoming oversensitive in the future?

To prevent your cursor from becoming oversensitive in the future, it is important to regularly update your touchpad drivers and adjust your touchpad settings to your personal preference. It is also helpful to be mindful of any features that may be causing the issue, such as "tap to click", and disable them if necessary.

5. What should I do if the above solutions do not work?

If adjusting the settings and updating drivers does not solve the oversensitivity issue, it is best to seek assistance from a professional. A technician may be able to diagnose the problem and provide a solution, such as repairing or replacing the touchpad. If your laptop is still under warranty, you may also be able to get a replacement or repair from the manufacturer.