The difference between physics and chemistry?

In summary, the difference between physics and chemistry lies in the focus of each field. While both study matter, physics focuses on the fundamental principles of matter, energy, and force, while chemistry delves into the properties and interactions of atoms and molecules. While some may argue that chemistry is just applied physics, the complexity of chemical systems and the use of heuristics in chemistry proves otherwise. Ultimately, both fields are necessary for a complete understanding of the physical world.
Axon
What is the difference between physics and chemistry? I asked my Science teacher (who teaches Physics in senior years) and he said that chemistry was basically applied physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fundamental (or quantum) chemistry is applied quantum mechanics (the latter being a theory of physics). Then once you've described matter at the level of atoms and molecules (so-called chemical compounds), chemistry parts ways with physics and is interested in describing interactions between atoms and molecules (the so-called chemical reactions). From this everything else in chemistry follows.

Likes Axon
Obligatory XKCD reference:
purity.png

On the other hand, physicists like to say physics is to math as sex is to masturbation. (https://xkcd.com/435/)​

In some respects, there is not much difference between chemistry and physics. Both are essentially the study of matter, though chemistry focuses mainly on thinking about matter at the atomic and molecular levels (while physicists also study matter on larger or smaller scales). One could say that chemistry is just applied physics (though physicists are notorious for trivializing any other field of study), but many aspects of chemistry are too complex to be modeled from first principles (as is the approach of physics). In many subfields of chemistry (e.g. organic, inorganic, biochemistry), the principles are more often heuristics worked out from experimental observations rather than derived from Schödinger's equation. However, what physical chemists learn is not much different from what is taught in quantum, atomic, and condensed matter physics.

Last edited:
Likes JeremyG, DrClaude, lavoisier and 2 others
Axon said:
What is the difference between physics and chemistry? I asked my Science teacher (who teaches Physics in senior years) and he said that chemistry was basically applied physics.
No. Not at all.
The basic meaning for Physics is the study of matter and energy. A way to take the basic meaning of Chemistry is, the study of materials, their identities, transformations reactions and properties.

Likes Axon
I wouldn't read too much into your teacher's statement. There are so many types of chemistry and physics that general statements are more misleading than constructive. Physical chemistry is not the same as organic chemistry and nuclear physics is not the same as astrophysics.

Likes Intraverno, Axon and symbolipoint
@Ygggdrasil
Nice cartoon! :smile:
I wonder if we could really put Maths together with the other disciplines, though.
I always considered Maths a form of philosophy, because it deals with purely abstract concepts, whereas all other sciences deal with physical entities (from fundamental particles all the way up to atoms, molecules, cells, organisms, societies).
Having said that, I think I recall reading something in R. Penrose's book 'The Road to Reality' to the effect that Mathematics is just as inherent in reality as physics or chemistry are, i.e. it's not an artificial construct disconnected from reality, but something that would necessarily and automatically stem from the observation of our physical world whenever an intelligent being decided to put its mind to it.
Who knows - we can't tell now because we already do have Maths. The counterproof would be to discover another intelligent life form somewhere in the Universe that managed to evolve into a complex society without knowing any Maths.
Sorry, maybe a bit off topic, but interesting, I think.

Likes Axon
Axon said:

Physics studies mass, force, and energy.

Chemistry studies substances and materials.

A Chemist would be interested in what something is made of. A Physicist would not be interested. A Physicist would be more interested studying how much torsion force it can handle and then coming up with an equation to describe it I guess.

Likes symbolipoint
Chemistry is the physics of atoms and molecules.

clope023 said:
Chemistry is the physics of atoms and molecules.
This is the "Physical Chemistry" point of view.

Likes Delong
What your teacher said is true, but if you want to go that far than literally everything except math is physics, and even that could be said to be a result of biology like psychology was in that picture above. They're different fields for a reason, of course nature doesn't care about our distinctions, but to argue about which field is more pure or all encompassing or fundamental is childish and stupid, and I'm astounded to have seen actual scientists have legitimate, angry arguments about this.

Intraverno said:
What your teacher said is true, but if you want to go that far than literally everything except math is physics, and even that could be said to be a result of biology like psychology was in that picture above. They're different fields for a reason, of course nature doesn't care about our distinctions, but to argue about which field is more pure or all encompassing or fundamental is childish and stupid, and I'm astounded to have seen actual scientists have legitimate, angry arguments about this.
Some people, even if scientists, do not like messy things, and some others like the diversity found in messy things. Many (not all) people who really want to study Biology, want to understand some part of the diversity found in Biology, and do not mind the mess too much. They are not always trying to find an exact mechanism at the finest physical level. There's a difference between Biochemistry and Predator-Prey relationships.

Likes Rafael

FAQ: The difference between physics and chemistry?

1. What is the main difference between physics and chemistry?

The main difference between physics and chemistry lies in their focus. Physics is concerned with understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. On the other hand, chemistry is concerned with the composition, structure, and properties of matter, as well as the changes it undergoes through chemical reactions.

2. Are there any overlapping concepts between physics and chemistry?

Yes, there are many overlapping concepts between physics and chemistry. For example, both disciplines deal with the behavior of atoms and molecules, the concept of energy, and the study of matter and its properties. However, while physics focuses on the fundamental laws and principles, chemistry delves deeper into the specific properties and behavior of different types of matter.

3. Can someone study physics without studying chemistry, and vice versa?

Yes, it is possible to study physics without studying chemistry, and vice versa. However, having a basic understanding of both disciplines can provide a more comprehensive understanding of the natural world. Additionally, many advanced topics in physics, such as quantum mechanics, require a strong understanding of chemistry.

4. Do physicists and chemists use different methods and tools to conduct their research?

Yes, physicists and chemists use different methods and tools to conduct their research. Physicists often use mathematical equations and models to study the behavior of matter and energy, while chemists rely on experiments and observations to understand the properties and behavior of different substances. However, there is some overlap in the tools used, such as spectroscopy, which is used in both physics and chemistry.

5. Can the principles of physics be applied to chemistry and vice versa?

Yes, the principles of physics can be applied to chemistry and vice versa. Many concepts in physics, such as thermodynamics and electromagnetism, have practical applications in chemistry. Similarly, many principles in chemistry, such as atomic structure and molecular bonding, are based on fundamental principles of physics.