The direction of three forces acting on a line has to be concurrent?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Jason Ko
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Direction Forces
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 1K views
Jason Ko
Messages
21
Reaction score
6
TL;DR
I found this theorem in D. Morin's book on mechanics. How to prove it mathematically? Does it have a name?
1709042028580.jpeg
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Take the point of crossing of two of the force lines of action. If the third line of action does not pass through that crossing, there is a net torque and therefore this cannot happen for a system in equilibrium.
 
Jason Ko said:
Thanks! I was being stupid
Probably you didn't read the "simple" proof provided below the statement that you highlighted in the textbook.
 
kuruman said:
Probably you didn't read the "simple" proof provided below the statement that you highlighted in the textbook.
Nor I. Good thing I agree with Morin though … 😛