The Effect of Gravity on Photons

In summary, the conversation revolves around the question of whether a photon emitted from a star would slow down due to gravity. The consensus is that while the photon may lose energy, its speed remains constant. This is because gravity is not considered a force in general relativity and light rays in free fall do not accelerate. However, their frequencies may change relative to observers at rest in the gravitational field.
jld592
I am not well versed in complex physics (I've taken honors physics in High school) so any help I can get with simpler vocabulary would be appreciated.

I stumbled upon this problem when just thinking and have not been able to find an answer.

We all know that gravity affects photons, as shown in black holes or even just the change in direction when passing a star. However, if a photon was emitted from a star, wouldn't it slow down? Thus you would have a photon going slower than the speed of light.

This picture (ignoring the stuff about fusion) is what I'm trying to describe.
PhotonSun.jpg

(if this doesn't work, try right clicking, copying the URL and pasting it into a new tab)

Thanks,
jld592

Science news on Phys.org
Can't see the picture. Something about not having permission to view it. I'd download the picture to your computer and then attach to the post as an attachment instead of a link.

No, the photons will lose energy but will not slow down. That means its frequency, momentum, wavelength all change but not its speed.

Picture link

Here is the picture as an attachment.

Attachments

• PhotonSun.jpg
    PhotonSun.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 402
dauto said:
No, the photons will lose energy but will not slow down. That means its frequency, momentum, wavelength all change but not its speed.

I just don't understand why. Gravity is usually a force, so wouldn't that affect acceleration and velocity?

The force is also [itex]F=\frac{dp}{dt} = m\frac{dv}{dt}=ma[/itex], and the momentum of photon is [itex]p=h\nu[/itex]. So, the only thing which may vary for a photon is its frequency, [itex]\nu[/itex].

jld592 said:
I just don't understand why. Gravity is usually a force, so wouldn't that affect acceleration and velocity?

Gravity is not a force in general relativity. Light rays in free fall in a gravitational field do not accelerate-nothing in free fall in the gravitational field accelerates for that matter. What happens is the light rays' frequencies change relative to observers at rest in the gravitational field (I'm trying to avoid using 'photons' because this inaccurate semi-classical conception of the photon is giving you the wrong picture).

1. How does gravity affect photons?

Gravity can affect photons in several ways. The first is through gravitational lensing, where the path of a photon is bent due to the curvature of space-time caused by a massive object. This causes the photon to appear to come from a different direction than it actually originated from. Another way gravity affects photons is through time dilation, where photons traveling through a gravitational field experience a change in their frequency and wavelength. Finally, gravity can also affect the speed of photons, causing them to slow down or speed up depending on the strength of the gravitational field they are passing through.

2. Do photons have mass and are they affected by gravity?

Photons are massless particles, meaning they do not have rest mass. However, they do have energy and momentum, which can be influenced by gravity. While photons themselves are not affected by gravity, their path and properties can be altered by the presence of massive objects in their trajectory.

3. Can gravity bend or curve light?

Yes, gravity can bend or curve light, also known as gravitational lensing. This phenomenon was first predicted by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity and has been observed in various astronomical objects. The amount of bending depends on the mass and distribution of matter in the object causing the curvature of space-time.

4. How does the strength of gravity affect photons?

The strength of gravity can affect photons in a few different ways. First, the stronger the gravitational field, the greater the bending of light or gravitational lensing. Additionally, the stronger the gravitational field, the greater the time dilation experienced by photons passing through it. Finally, the strength of gravity can also affect the speed of photons, causing them to accelerate or decelerate depending on the intensity of the gravitational field.

5. Can gravity affect the color or wavelength of light?

Yes, gravity can affect the color or wavelength of light through gravitational redshift. This is a phenomenon where the wavelength of light is stretched as it travels through a gravitational field, causing it to shift towards the red end of the spectrum. This can be observed in objects with strong gravitational fields, such as black holes. The amount of gravitational redshift depends on the strength of the gravitational field and the distance the light travels through it.