The effects of high blood pressure transient

In summary: I always exercise regularly, and vigorously. I eat healthy food, drink lots of water, avoid salt/sodium as much as possible, don't smoke, don't drink. Yet these doctors can't figure what the heck is going on. Perhaps I can forgive that, but what I can't forgive is none of the doctors I've visited have shown any initiative to investigate my health. They wait until I ran out of things to say, prescribe pills, and quickly end office visits. I'm sick and tired of this. Really sorry for the rant, I'm just frustrated, I'm signing out.It sounds as though you worry a lot. perhaps anxiety is contributing to your pre-hypertension
Do you actually suffer from some allergic condition? Congestion in nose?

yes

What was your doctor actually thinking of?

About the check-out.

Biology news on Phys.org
If you use anti-histamines, you will get the opposite side effects.

waht said:
If the blood pressure jumps from a long term pre-hypertension stage (140/90) to 175/110 for ten hours, and then calms down to pre-hypertension stage again, are there any long term effects on the body for sustaining such high blood pressure?

From what I've been able to find out, high blood pressure screws up internal organs. Is tens hours of high blood pressure enough to cause any irreversible damage?

That even, by itself, would be very unlikely to cause significant damage. However, that is not to say that it shouldn't be investigated by a physician. I'd sure want to know why it happened but were it a 'situational episode of HTN' , id not worry. The definition of HTN is that it must be measured on at least 3 separate occasions by a medical professional. "White-coat Hypertension" (ie, anxiety in medical situations) is common. ;)
At the same time, a person's history, including age and presence of other conditions might impel serious investigation.
Talk with your doctor.

I am retired, have no Dr.-Patient relationship with anyone, and my comments here may only be taken in the framework of general discussion.

Count Iblis said:
If you use anti-histamines, you will get the opposite side effects.

They are mild if any.

Waht I would personally advise you to just stick with Fexofenadine (Many brand names; one is Telfast). It's a 2nd generation antihistamine which means it won't enter your brain and therefore side-effects on brain are minimized. For your allergy, this'd be a very good medication.

A long time ago, I was quite ill after using an antihistamine. My heart rate became too slow, which was particularly noticeable after (light) exertion. I almost collapsed a few times with a heart rate of lower than 40 bpm while walking.

Count Iblis said:
A long time ago, I was quite ill after using an antihistamine. My heart rate became too slow, which was particularly noticeable after (light) exertion. I almost collapsed a few times with a heart rate of lower than 40 bpm while walking.

Do anti-histamines actually lower blood pressure?

AyazM said:
Allegra is fexofenadine and Pseudoephedrine.

Now there's a serious misunderstanding here. Do you actually suffer from some allergic condition? Congestion in nose? Congestion in ears? Fexofenadine is perfectly fine ALONE but giving pseudoephedrine is like deliberately increasing your already high blood pressure. What was your doctor actually thinking of?

i believe the version with pseudoephedrine is branded as Allegra-D (for decongestant), but the original version is just Allegra.

a compromise might be to just take Allegra (or one of the generics available now) and only take a decongestant when you really need it.

waht said:
Do anti-histamines actually lower blood pressure?

Not sure about that in general, but if you get the side effects I got, then it will definitely lower blood pressure...

You can also cauterize your nasal concha. You're nose will be free without having to use any medicines. At least, that's my experience. The operation is done under local anesthesia, and takes only half an hour (the actual operation takes less than a minute, the half an hour is needed for the nose to be properly anesthetized).

I observe that, although I've implied that i am a retired physician, not one person has commented on my own contributions here. I can only surmise that there is some 'anti-doc' bias here, which impels me to leave this discussion. I am sorry not to have offered helpful commentary.

tkjtkj, md <ret>