The elastic ribbon sine-Gordon model

In summary, the elastic ribbon model, as depicted in the provided link, is governed by the sine-Gordon equation. This can be demonstrated by writing the lagrangian L = T - V and examining the variation, with T representing the kinetic energy and V representing the potential for the coupled pendulum system. The s-G equation is the Euler-Lagrange equation for the lagrangian \mathcal{L}(\phi) = \frac{1}{2}(\phi_t^2 - \phi_x^2) + \cos\phi, and the question remains on how to derive this lagrangian for the mechanical system.
standardflop
Hello,
I'd like to verify that the elastic ribbon model [ depicted here: http://www.math.h.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~takasaki/soliton-lab/gallery/solitons/sg-e.html ] is governed by the sine-Gordon equation. I suppose this can be shown by writing the lagrangian [itex]L = T - V[/itex] and looking at the variation. The kinetic energy for a single single pendulum is [itex]T =\tfrac{1}{2} \dot{\phi}^2 [/itex], but how can i describe potential [itex]V[/itex] now that each pendulum is coupled to its neighbours?

All the best
SF

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
According to Wikipedia the the s-G equation is the Euler-Lagrange equation of the following lagrangian
[tex] \mathcal{L}(\phi) = \frac{1}{2}(\phi_t^2 - \phi_x^2) + \cos\phi. [/tex]
Thus i suppose my question is simply how to derive this lagrangian for the mentioned mechanical system.

Hello SF,

Thank you for your question. The elastic ribbon model is indeed governed by the sine-Gordon equation, which is a nonlinear partial differential equation that describes the motion of a classical field in one spatial dimension. The equation can be derived from the energy functional, which is the integral of the Lagrangian over the space and time.

In the case of the elastic ribbon model, the Lagrangian can be written as L = T - V, where T is the kinetic energy and V is the potential energy. The kinetic energy is given by T = \tfrac{1}{2} \dot{\phi}^2, as you mentioned. However, in order to describe the potential energy, we need to consider the interactions between neighboring pendulums.

The potential energy in the elastic ribbon model can be described as a sum of potential energies between each pair of neighboring pendulums. This can be written as V = \sum_{i=1}^N V_i, where N is the number of pendulums and V_i is the potential energy between the i-th and (i+1)-th pendulums. This potential energy can be further expanded using Hooke's law, which describes the restoring force of a spring, to include the elastic properties of the ribbon.

By considering the kinetic and potential energies, and using the Euler-Lagrange equation, we can derive the sine-Gordon equation to describe the dynamics of the elastic ribbon model. This equation takes into account the coupling between neighboring pendulums and the elastic properties of the ribbon.

I hope this helps to clarify the connection between the elastic ribbon model and the sine-Gordon equation. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

Related to The elastic ribbon sine-Gordon model

1. What is the elastic ribbon sine-Gordon model?

The elastic ribbon sine-Gordon model is a theoretical model used to describe the behavior of a thin elastic ribbon that is constrained to move in a two-dimensional plane. It takes into account the effects of bending, stretching, and twisting of the ribbon, as well as any external forces acting on it.

2. How does the elastic ribbon sine-Gordon model differ from other models?

The elastic ribbon sine-Gordon model is unique in that it incorporates both elastic and geometric properties of the ribbon, while other models may only consider one or the other. It also takes into account the nonlinearity of the ribbon's behavior, which is important for accurately describing its dynamics.

3. What are some real-world applications of the elastic ribbon sine-Gordon model?

The elastic ribbon sine-Gordon model has been used in various fields such as materials science, engineering, and physics. It has been applied to the study of DNA molecules, the behavior of liquid crystals, and the motion of nanoscale objects. It has also been used to understand the formation of wrinkles and folds in thin films.

4. How is the elastic ribbon sine-Gordon model solved?

The elastic ribbon sine-Gordon model is typically solved using numerical methods, such as finite element analysis, due to its nonlinearity. However, in some cases, analytical solutions can be obtained for simplified versions of the model. These solutions can provide insights into the behavior of the ribbon and can also be used to validate numerical results.

5. What are the limitations of the elastic ribbon sine-Gordon model?

Like any model, the elastic ribbon sine-Gordon model has its limitations. It is based on certain simplifying assumptions, such as the ribbon being infinitely thin and having a constant thickness, which may not hold true in real-world scenarios. Additionally, the model may not accurately capture all of the complex interactions between the ribbon and its environment. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of the model when applying it to a specific problem.