The end all be all of the planck scale

In summary, the Planck scale is the smallest unit of measurement in the universe, where the laws of physics as we know them break down. It is believed to be the limit of our understanding and exploration of the physical world. At this scale, gravity is said to be as strong as all other fundamental forces combined, and quantum effects become crucial in understanding the behavior of matter and energy. The Planck scale is an essential concept in theoretical physics, as it represents the boundary between the known and the unknown, and could potentially hold the key to unraveling the mysteries of the universe.
fet2105
I have always understood Planck time as being the the smallest amount of time that has any physical significance and the Planck scale as being the region where space and time collapse on each other and all of our mathematics fail. Why are these seemingly magic numbers the end all be all of physics? Can anyone break it down?

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, those length and time scales are not experimentally accessible, so any such predictions as to what or what does not happen in these regions are technically still *far* in the speculation domain.

And yet there are still peer-reviewed papers concerning physics on the plank scale and possible effects so it is not a banned level of speculation... besides, the question does not call for speculation.

@fet2105: any of this useful to you?

Just to be clear...
The question before us is this:
Why are [plank length and time etc] [considered by some to be] the end all be all of physics? Can anyone break it down?
... the brackets are mine.
We do have to be careful not to indulge in undue speculation since this is fringe stuff.
However, the links in post #2 should explain why the plank length/time tends to be seen as a limiting case in certain ways (details in links).
Even if it were speculation - the rules on speculation are pretty clear:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380

Generally, in the forums we do not allow the following:
Personal theories or speculations that go beyond or counter to generally-accepted science

Generally, discussion topics should be traceable to standard textbooks or to peer-reviewed scientific literature. Usually, we accept references from journals that are listed here:
http://ip-science.thomsonreuters.com/mjl/

... it is quite easy to find articles in those journals from that list which refer to plank length physics. Most commonly in terms of quantum gravity.
A quick review of the literature should tell anyone interested the scope of discussion here.

The fact that what happens at the plank limit is basically speculative is the subject of the question ... "how come our models end at that scale?" OP has not asked for speculation or put forward a personal speculation about what happens at the plank scale ... but has asked why the plank scale is (considered by many to be) special.

OTOH: OP could be thinking of something else, I'm making the most favorable interpretation of the question :)

I am sorry if it looked like I implied that this question might not belong on this forum. I am not considering this an undue speculation at all. I just wanted to point out that while there are arguments for considering these scales as limiting scales, one should not take these predictions as hard facts: The physics on this scale has not been experimentally observed, and is unlikely to be observed any time soon. So technically one cannot say what happens there. That is all I wanted to say, because OPs question sounded like he/she thinks these issues are completely uncontested (like many highly speculative topics which are presented has hard facts in pop science).

The information provided was very useful indeed. I think that the snippet that sends the overall message home is the question: "how come our models end at that scale?". Thank you very much.

What is the Planck scale?

The Planck scale, named after physicist Max Planck, is the scale at which quantum effects and gravity become equally important. It is the smallest length scale at which we can accurately describe the laws of physics.

Why is the Planck scale considered the "end all be all"?

The Planck scale is considered the "end all be all" because it represents the fundamental limit of our understanding of the universe. Beyond this scale, our current theories of physics break down and we are unable to make accurate predictions.

What are the units of measurement for the Planck scale?

The Planck scale is typically measured in terms of length, time, and mass. The standard units used are the Planck length (10^-35 meters), the Planck time (10^-43 seconds), and the Planck mass (10^-8 kilograms).

How is the Planck scale related to the Big Bang?

The Planck scale is closely related to the Big Bang because it represents the earliest time and smallest length scales at which our current understanding of physics can accurately describe the universe. It is thought that the universe was at the Planck scale in the first fractions of a second after the Big Bang.

What is the significance of the Planck scale in the search for a theory of everything?

The Planck scale is significant in the search for a theory of everything because it marks the scale at which we hope to unify the theories of quantum mechanics and gravity. A theory of everything would be able to accurately describe the universe at all length scales, including the Planck scale.