The Energy of the Trapped Electron in a One-Dimensional Space

  • Thread starter Thread starter quantumech
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Box Energy
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
quantumech
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Calculate the length of the space L in nm if an electron is trapped in one dimensional space of length L, and shows an absorption at 523nm due to transition from ψ2 to ψ3.


Homework Equations



Energy expression for particle in box:

Ev= (n2h2)/(8mL2) n=1, 2, 3...

The Attempt at a Solution



I don't understand what I am suppose to do with 523 nm. Once I know that I can continue. Please help with this. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
First, the general formula for the energy of your eigenstates is incorrect. There should be a pi-squared term in the numerator.

Electrons can only be located in specific orbits, right? So the given 523 nm value is the wavelength of the absorbed photon. What is the energy of the photon?

[tex]E_{photon}=\frac{hc}{\lambda}[/tex]

EDIT: I changed h-bar to h.
 
Last edited: