How Do I Find the Horizontal Distance of a Bug on a Moving Ladder?

• Thread starter nicnic20
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a 30-foot ladder leaning against a wall and a bug climbing up at a rate of 3.5 feet per minute while the bottom of the ladder is being pulled along the ground at a rate of 1.5 feet per minute. The goal is to find a function, x(t), that represents the horizontal distance of the bug from the wall as a function of time, t. The solution involves using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric principles to determine the distance the bug has traveled along the ladder and the horizontal distance from the wall. The final answer is x(t) = 3.5t/30.
nicnic20

Homework Statement

So I've seen this posted here already but I'm still completely clueless on how to start the problem.

Problem: A 30-foot ladder rests vertically against a wall. A bug starts at the bottom of the ladder and climbs up at a rate of 3.5 feet per minute. At the same time, the foot of the ladder is being pulled along the ground at a rate of 1.5 feet per minute until the top of the ladder reaches the ground. Let x be the distance of the bug from the wall at time t.

Question: Find the function x(t). This function gives the horizontal distance of the bug to the wall as a function of time, t.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm not sure where to begin when finding x(t). I started with the Pythagorean theorem because of the obvious triangle and came up with x^2 + y^2= 30. Now I'm stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not that hard. Figure out how far the bug has gone along the ladder at time t. Then figure out what the cosine of the angle the ladder is sitting at time t. Use some trig. Or similar triangles, your choice. BTW I think we should call this "the famous bug problem". Let's give the bug his due.

I'll call it the famous bug on the infamous ladder problem.
I'm sure I am making it 100x more complicated than it actually is.

So I figured out the bug is at 3.5t/30 am I correct?

nicnic20 said:
I'll call it the famous bug on the infamous ladder problem.
I'm sure I am making it 100x more complicated than it actually is.

So I figured out the bug is at 3.5t/30 am I correct?

At time t the bug will be 3.5*t feet along the length of the ladder. The bottom of the ladder will be 1.5*t feet from the wall. If you draw a picture, you should see some right triangles to solve.

1. What is "The famous ladder question"?

"The famous ladder question" is a thought experiment that asks individuals to consider a hypothetical scenario in which a ladder is placed in a room with a ceiling that is just a few inches taller than the length of the ladder.

2. What is the purpose of "The famous ladder question"?

The purpose of this thought experiment is to explore the concept of perception and how it can affect our understanding of reality. It also raises questions about the nature of truth and how it can be subject to individual interpretation.

3. What are the possible interpretations of "The famous ladder question"?

There are several possible interpretations of this thought experiment. One interpretation is that the ladder represents our understanding of reality, and the ceiling represents the limits of our perception. Another interpretation is that the ladder represents our goals or ambitions, and the ceiling represents the obstacles that prevent us from achieving them.

4. How does "The famous ladder question" relate to the scientific method?

This thought experiment relates to the scientific method by highlighting the importance of observation and questioning in the pursuit of knowledge. It also demonstrates how our perceptions and biases can influence the way we interpret data and form conclusions.

5. Can "The famous ladder question" have different answers for different individuals?

Yes, "The famous ladder question" can have different answers for different individuals because it is a subjective thought experiment that is open to interpretation. Our individual experiences, beliefs, and biases can influence our perception and understanding of the scenario.