What are the job prospects for a Masters in condensed matter physics in Germany?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's acceptance into an advanced degree program in Physics with a specialization in condensed matter. They have questions about the field, its applications in industry, and its demand and future prospects.
renegade05
I have just been accepted to pursue an advanced degree (Masters) in Physics with a specialization in condensed matter.

I have some questions regarding this field (Google results are somewhat outdated).

(1) What exactly does a condensed matter physicist study? I know it is the study of condensed states of matter - namely solid, liquid. However, what aspects of these states are interesting? Is there a fair bit of Quantum Mechanics involved?

(2) Initially I wanted to go into engineering (MASc) from my bachelors - however this is easier said than done. I got many refusals due to not having the prerequisites. From what I read online - condensed matter physics is the closest branch of physics you can get to engineering. In other words - the branch with the most applications. The reason I ask is because I want to go into industry and application and move away from academia after my Masters. Are these things true? Is it fairly 'easy' to get a job in industry with a MSc in Condensed matter?

(3) I guess this is a follow up from the last question - how in-demand are condensed matter physicists nowadays - and what is the future prospect of this field? I, again, read online that it is one of the most 'in-demand' fields in physics next to medical physics- true?

I love physics - however, I would feel at ease with some kind of job prosperity in the future. By the way I am in living in Germany and that is where I will be looking for work after my Masters (possibly PhD).

Physics news on Phys.org
"Condensed matter physics" has moved beyond the traditional focus of solid state and now encompasses 'soft matter', and the range of phenomena under study has also increased greatly. So, without knowing more about the folks offering your program, it's hard to know what your options are. A more-or-less standard textbook is here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521794501/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Here in the US, there's a huge industrial 'pool' to find a job: companies like PPG, Proctor & Gamble, L'Oreal, Unilever, etc, need that expertise for a wide range of consumer products, for example. Any company that manufactures, packages and ships products formulated in a colloidal, granular, foamy, or emulsive (?) format are potential employers as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes atyy

1. What is condensed matter?

Condensed matter refers to the study of materials in their solid or liquid state, where the interactions between particles are strong enough to produce collective behavior and properties. Examples of condensed matter include metals, semiconductors, liquids, and polymers.

2. What are some applications of condensed matter physics?

Condensed matter physics has a wide range of applications, including the development of new materials for electronics, energy storage, and medical devices. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and improving technologies such as computer chips, solar cells, and magnetic devices.

3. What techniques are used in studying condensed matter?

There are various experimental techniques used in studying condensed matter, including X-ray diffraction, neutron scattering, and electron microscopy. Theoretical approaches, such as quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics, are also used to understand the behavior of materials at the atomic scale.

4. How does condensed matter relate to other fields of physics?

Condensed matter physics is an interdisciplinary field that draws on concepts and techniques from other areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism. It also has connections to chemistry, materials science, and engineering.

5. What are some current research topics in condensed matter?

Current research in condensed matter includes the study of topological materials, quantum computing, and the development of new electronic and magnetic materials. Other areas of interest include the properties of soft matter, such as polymers and liquid crystals, and the behavior of materials at extreme conditions, such as high pressures and temperatures.