What is the job outlook for engineering majors in the future?

In summary, the conversation discussed the factors that motivate individuals to pursue a career in engineering, including salary and job stability. The individual expressed concerns about the job outlook for engineering in their area and questioned the accuracy of statistics regarding job placement for Chemical Engineering majors. It was also mentioned that flexibility and willingness to learn new skills may increase job opportunities in the engineering field. However, it was acknowledged that sometimes individuals may have to work in positions below their qualifications in order to gain experience. The conversation also touched on the possibility of teaching at a community college and the qualifications required for such a position.
undrcvrbro
I decided to major in Chemical Engineering because I love science and math, but most engineers and engineering majors would be lying if they said salary was not a motivation for entering their field.
That being said, what does the future career outlook look like for engineering in general. I've always heard good things about the job security and good pay, but I've seen some pessismistic posts on this forum. I remember reading a post a while back about guys who couldn't find any work in engineering, and had to teach basic calculus at a community college for cash. Is this really common? I live around the Akron Cleveland area, so it's not exactly a bustling economic area, but what is the job outlook for the rest of the country?

My college claims that 97 percent of their Chemical Engineering major seniors get jobs before graduation(and my school aint nothin special either). I'm sure this statistic is skewed slightly, but is this ever even remotely the truth?

I just don't want to spend four years working my *** off so I can be unemployed, or do work that is below my degree or abilities.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yuck, Akron.

Sorry, I'll try to be on topic. From what I see on here (granted, I'm not an engineer) it seems like the stability of an engineering career is directly proportional to how flexible you are; i.e., if you're willing to relocate for a job, you shouldn't have much trouble finding one - if you are willing to learn some skills outside your field, you're more likely to be hired than "B.S.Chem.E. #4107."

I doubt in our lifetimes we'll see a time when there are literally no open engineering positions for graduating Americans. Although, sometimes you do have to suck it up and work for a little while "below your degree or abilities." I just graduated, and know plenty of unemployed former engineering students who think that they should get to start in their dream job just because they worked their asses off for four years... Well, it takes more than four years.

I wouldn't count on getting academic work at a community college unless you have a master's degree, and even then they typically require a master's in or closely related to the subject matter you are teaching.

Larger community colleges in large metropolitan areas will prefer, and usually get, Ph.D.'s.

1. What new technologies will shape the future of Engineering?

The future of Engineering will be heavily influenced by emerging technologies such as Artificial Intelligence, Internet of Things, and advanced materials. These technologies will enable engineers to design and build more efficient and innovative products and systems.

2. How will sustainability play a role in the future of Engineering?

Sustainability will be a key factor in the future of Engineering. As the world faces challenges such as climate change and resource depletion, engineers will be responsible for creating solutions that are environmentally friendly and sustainable in the long term.

3. What impact will globalization have on the future of Engineering?

Globalization will have a significant impact on the future of Engineering. It will lead to increased collaboration and knowledge sharing among engineers from different parts of the world, resulting in faster innovation and the development of more diverse and versatile products and systems.

4. How will the role of engineers change in the future?

The role of engineers will evolve in the future, becoming more interdisciplinary and collaborative. Engineers will need to have a broader range of skills, including communication, adaptability, and creativity, to effectively work in diverse teams and solve complex problems.

5. What industries will see the most growth in Engineering in the future?

The future of Engineering will see growth in various industries, including renewable energy, healthcare, transportation, and advanced manufacturing. These industries will require innovative and sustainable engineering solutions to meet the needs of a rapidly changing world.