What will the traveler weigh on another planet?

In summary, the space traveler will weigh 2.898*10^-10 on a planet with a radius 3 times that of Earth and a mass 2 times that of Earth.
pookisantoki
A Space traveler weighs 695N on Earth. What will the traveler weigh on another planet whose radius is 3 times that of Earth and whose mass is 2 times that of earth?

So for this problem I got the mass and radius of the earth
Mass of earth= (5.98 *10^24)
Radius of Eath- (6.38 *10^6)
Since it says mass of Earth is twice of Earth I multipled it by two (5.98 * 10^24)*2= 1.196*10^25
and I multiplied the radius of Earth by three (6.38*10^6)*3=19140000

Then I plugged it into the Newton's law of universal gravitation formula
F=G(m1*m2/R^2)
G=6.674*10^-11

F=(6.674*10^-11)((1.196*10^25)/(19140000^2))=2.898*10^-10
but its wrong what did I do wrong. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
pookisantoki said:
F=(6.674*10^-11)((1.196*10^25)/(19140000^2))=2.898*10^-10
but its wrong what did I do wrong. Thank you!
Two problems:
(1) You forgot the traveler's mass.
(2) You messed up the exponent.

Rather than do all that number crunching, just use ratios. Much less chance of error that way.

Ratios...How would i set that up?

Would i just put (695*2)/3?

pookisantoki said:
Ratios...How would i set that up?

Would i just put (695*2)/3?
Almost, but not exactly. (The radius should be squared.)

Try this:
Weight on Earth = GmM/R^2 = 695 N
Weight on planet = Gm(2M)/(3R)^2 = ?

Compare those two expressions.

so I plugged the formula in:
((6.67*10^-11)(695)((5.98*10^24)*2))/(((6.38*10^6)^2)*3)=4540.244
I plugged that in as the answer but it's still wrong...Am i missing a step? or is my calculation wrong?

pookisantoki said:
so I plugged the formula in:
((6.67*10^-11)(695)((5.98*10^24)*2))/(((6.38*10^6)^2)*3)=4540.244
I plugged that in as the answer but it's still wrong...Am i missing a step? or is my calculation wrong?
Two new problems:
(1) 695 is the traveler's weight, not his mass. Find his mass.
(2) You multiplied the demoninator by 3 after you squared the radius instead of before.

But this is still the hard way. I'd still play around with the suggestion for using ratios that I gave in my last post:

Hint: Weight on planet = Gm(2M)/(3R)^2 = 2/(3^2) * GmM/R^2
(And you already know what GmM/R^2 equals.)

1. What is the Gravitational Force?

The Gravitational Force is a natural phenomenon that causes objects with mass to attract one another. It is the force that keeps planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating away into space.

2. How does the Gravitational Force work?

The Gravitational Force is based on the law of universal gravitation, which states that any two objects in the universe are attracted to each other with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight in relation to the Gravitational Force?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. The Gravitational Force is directly proportional to an object's mass, but the weight of an object can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational field it is in.

4. How does the Gravitational Force affect Earth's motion around the sun?

The Gravitational Force between the Earth and the sun is what keeps the Earth in its orbit around the sun. The sun's massive gravitational pull keeps the Earth from flying off into space and also causes the Earth to travel in an elliptical orbit around the sun.

5. Can the Gravitational Force be felt on a smaller scale?

Yes, the Gravitational Force exists on a smaller scale as well. It is the force that keeps the moon in orbit around the Earth and causes objects to fall towards the ground when dropped. It is also responsible for the formation of galaxies and the movement of stars within them.