What is the image of a function?

In summary, the image of a function is not technically the range, but rather the image of a set under the function. However, sometimes the term "image of the function" is used to refer to the image of the entire domain of the function.
luckyducky87
Hi can someone please explain to me in simple english what the image of a function is... People have told me it is the range, however i have heard technically it is not the range but it is similar?

Thanks for your time cheers,
Lucky

Mathematics news on Phys.org
First of all, it is not technically correct to talk about the image of a function. Strictly speaking we are talking about the image of a set under that fuction.

For example, the function [itex]f(x)= x^2[/itex] maps any number in the interval [-1, 1] into the interval [0, 1]. We say the "the image of [-1, 1] under the function [itex]f(x)= x^2[/itex] is [0, 1]. Sometimes you will see "the image of the function" to mean the image of the entire domain of the function f, under f. The "standard domain" for [itex]f(x)= x^2[/itex] is all real numbers which is mapped into the set of non-negative numbers, [itex][0, \infty)[/itex] so we might say that the "image" of a function is its range but I do not consider that to be correct terminology. It is the image of the set, not the function.

1. What is the image of a function?

The image of a function is the set of all possible output values that can be obtained when the function is applied to its input values. In other words, it is the range of values that the function can produce.

2. How do you find the image of a function?

To find the image of a function, you can either graph the function and observe the range of values on the y-axis, or you can plug in different input values and record the corresponding output values. The resulting set of output values is the image of the function.

3. Can the image of a function be infinite?

Yes, the image of a function can be infinite if the function is continuous. This means that there is no limit to the range of values that the function can produce.

4. What is the difference between the image and the domain of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values, while the image is the set of all possible output values. In other words, the domain is the set of values that can be plugged into the function, while the image is the resulting set of values that the function can produce.

5. Can a function have the same image as another function?

Yes, two different functions can have the same image. This means that they produce the same range of output values, even though their input values may be different. For example, the functions f(x) = x^2 and g(x) = |x| both have an image of [0, ∞).