Is C = π x D Possible in a Universe of Nothing?

• Thread starter richard9678
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a thought experiment about a universe with infinite empty space and no Big Bang. The question is whether in this universe, C = π x D would be true. The conversation also explores the concept of "nothing" and its relationship to mathematics and reality. The suggestion is made to look into flat and curved spacetime for further exploration.
richard9678
Sorry if I'm in the wrong forum. Maybe my questions don't make sense.

I have a thought experiment, and I wonder what folks will make of it.

I imagine a universe of nothing. Except empty space that is infinite in dimensions.

If there was no Big Bang, and we have a steady state, would it be true that C = π x D?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
richard9678 said:
Sorry if I'm in the wrong forum. Maybe my questions don't make sense.

I have a thought experiment, and I wonder what folks will make of it.

I imagine a universe of nothing. Except empty space that is infinite in dimensions.

If there was no Big Bang, and we have a steady state, would it be true that C = π x D?
Nope, it can't be, according to your original hypothesis. A universe with nothing in it also has no circles. :wink:

Where you have space, surely C = π x D would be true? There would be points in that space that would circumscribe a circle?

I think you are confusing math with reality. C=pi*D is a mathematical construct that does not depend on reality and remains true even if no one every draws a circle and none ever occur in nature.

"Nothing" means non-being, but your imagined "nothing" has spacetime, properties of dimension and infinity - geometry even though it is empty.
Whether that geometry yields C = π x D is the question.

Maybe you could look at flat (Minkowski) spacetime and curvred (de Sitter) spacetime to see if either of these might be what your are imagining...? Look for others searching "maximally symmetric space".

Thread closed for moderation.

Related to Is C = π x D Possible in a Universe of Nothing?

What is "The Impossibility of Nothing"?

"The Impossibility of Nothing" is a scientific concept that explores the idea that true nothingness, or the absence of all matter and energy, is impossible to achieve. This means that even in the emptiest void of space, there will always be some form of energy or particles present.

Why is nothingness impossible?

According to the laws of physics, matter and energy cannot be created or destroyed. This means that even if all matter and energy were to disappear, there would still be something, such as quantum fluctuations, that would exist in its place.

How does this concept relate to the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory suggests that the universe began as a singularity, which is a point of infinite density and zero volume. This means that even at the moment of the Big Bang, there was never truly nothingness, as the singularity contained all the energy and matter that would eventually expand to form the universe.

Can we ever achieve true nothingness?

Based on our current understanding of the laws of physics, it is highly unlikely that we will ever be able to achieve true nothingness. However, scientists continue to explore the concept and push the boundaries of our knowledge.

What are the implications of the impossibility of nothing?

The concept of the impossibility of nothing has implications for our understanding of the universe and its origins. It also raises philosophical questions about the nature of existence and the limitations of human understanding.