Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The impossibilty of nothing

1. Mar 4, 2015 #1
    Sorry if I'm in the wrong forum. Maybe my questions don't make sense.

I have a thought experiment, and I wonder what folks will make of it.

I imagine a universe of nothing. Except empty space that is infinite in dimensions.

If there was no Big Bang, and we have a steady state, would it be true that C = π x D?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nope, it can't be, according to your original hypothesis. A universe with nothing in it also has no circles. :wink:

4. Mar 4, 2015 #3
    Where you have space, surely C = π x D would be true? There would be points in that space that would circumscribe a circle?

5. Mar 4, 2015 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think you are confusing math with reality. C=pi*D is a mathematical construct that does not depend on reality and remains true even if no one every draws a circle and none ever occur in nature.

6. Mar 4, 2015 #5
    "Nothing" means non-being, but your imagined "nothing" has spacetime, properties of dimension and infinity - geometry even though it is empty.
    Whether that geometry yields C = π x D is the question.

Maybe you could look at flat (Minkowski) spacetime and curvred (de Sitter) spacetime to see if either of these might be what your are imagining...? Look for others searching "maximally symmetric space".

7. Mar 4, 2015 #6

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Thread closed for moderation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook