The Inner Workings of a Voltmeter: Demystifying the Conversion from Galvanometer

In summary: In this particular case, the examiner may have been trying to see if the student could convert the galvanometer into a voltmeter and then use that information in practical terms. OK - no context to the question. Well then, I think my answer about ruggedness is the only one that can apply as a galvo is really just a very sensitive meter with a light suspension and virtually no return spring.Perhaps the examiner was after the answer "they are both virtually the same and it's just the details that distinguish one from the other"
Suraj M
Gold Member
In a recent Viva one of my friends was asked this- " Why don't we use a normal Voltmeter instead of converting a galvanometer into a voltmeter?"
I didn't quite understand what the examiner meant
Isn't a galvanometer with a high resistance is what present inside a voltmeter?
Same goes for an ammeter( except shunt low and in parallel)
So what should I answer for this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is an 'Engineering' question, based on practicability. Look at the way a galvanometer works and you will see that it's different from a 'normal' Ammeter meter movement. It's basically the same but it is far more sensitive. The return spring is extremely weak (often just a thin ribbon suspension). Just not robust enough for everyday use. If you try to carry a sensitive galvo', its needle will wave all over the place. It has no place in an electrician's carry case.

Well isn't that a bit contradicting
The question is why we don't use a voltmeter? It was asked in an experiment where we had to convert a galvanometer into voltmeter,

Suraj M said:
Well isn't that a bit contradicting
The question is why we don't use a voltmeter? It was asked in an experiment where we had to convert a galvanometer into voltmeter,
Yes, I take your point but the question is not really complete enough for a proper answer. What was the application? How did the question arise in the conversation? What is a "normal Voltmeter"? Nowadays, it would be normal to use an electronic system for measuring volts, if the circumstances are at all unusual. A bit more background about the OP could be useful, I think. The examiner had something in mind and it's not clear from the wording of the OP.

Suraj M said:
Why don't we use a normal Voltmeter instead of converting a galvanometer into a voltmeter?
So, what is a "normal voltmeter" then? Historically, you have something called an Electroscope (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroscope), but that only showed the existence of a potential, not the magnitude. Therefore, given the precision of the galvanometer, it was easy to insert a resistance in series and recalibrate the scale in volts (since V = R⋅I). Today, we have better methods, but we still have to interfere with what we are measuring.

sophiecentaur said:
Yes, I take your point but the question is not really complete enough for a proper answer. What was the application? How did the question arise in the conversation? What is a "normal Voltmeter"? Nowadays, it would be normal to use an electronic system for measuring volts, if the circumstances are at all unusual. A bit more background about the OP could be useful, I think. The examiner had something in mind and it's not clear from the wording of the OP.
Honestly Sophie that's all the examiner said
Exact words
I'm in 12th grade and the experiment was just to convert the galvanometer Into a voltmeter using a high resistance and verifying the readings by varying the rheostat, that's it.
The question didn't make much sense to me though, I used to think what goes on inside a voltmeter is the same as our setup, isn't it?

Suraj M said:
Honestly Sophie that's all the examiner said
Exact words
I'm in 12th grade and the experiment was just to convert the galvanometer Into a voltmeter using a high resistance and verifying the readings by varying the rheostat, that's it.
The question didn't make much sense to me though, I used to think what goes on inside a voltmeter is the same as our setup, isn't it?
OK - no context to the question. Well then, I think my answer about ruggedness is the only one that can apply as a galvo is really just a very sensitive meter with a light suspension and virtually no return spring.
Perhaps the examiner was after the answer "they are both virtually the same and it's just the details that distinguish one from the other"
Interviewers can be human, you know and they can often use an examination as an educational tool, rather than a test.

1. What is a voltmeter and what does it measure?

A voltmeter is a scientific instrument used to measure the potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit, also known as voltage. It is typically used to measure the voltage between the positive and negative terminals of a battery, or between two points in a circuit.

2. How does a voltmeter work?

A voltmeter works by connecting two points in a circuit, creating a complete path for electrical current to flow. The voltmeter then measures the voltage drop between the two points, displaying the result on a scale that indicates the voltage in volts.

3. What is the difference between an analog and digital voltmeter?

An analog voltmeter uses a moving pointer or needle to indicate the voltage on a scale, while a digital voltmeter displays the voltage as a numerical value on a digital screen. Analog voltmeters are more prone to errors and are less accurate than digital voltmeters, but they may be easier to read for some users.

4. Can a voltmeter be used to measure current?

No, a voltmeter is designed specifically to measure voltage and should not be used to measure current. Attempting to measure current with a voltmeter can cause damage to both the instrument and the circuit being measured.

5. How do I use a voltmeter to troubleshoot electrical problems?

To use a voltmeter for troubleshooting, you first need to identify the problem area in the circuit. Then, connect the voltmeter to the suspected problem area and measure the voltage. If the voltage is not within the expected range, it can help pinpoint the issue and guide further troubleshooting steps.