The James Webb Space Telescope

In summary, the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) is a highly advanced telescope that is set to launch in 2021. It is designed to study the universe in infrared light and will be able to see further and with more clarity than any other telescope before it. The JWST will be placed in orbit around the Sun, approximately 1.5 million kilometers from Earth, and will be able to observe objects dating back to the early universe. Its primary goals include studying the formation of galaxies, the birth of stars and planets, and potentially even finding signs of life on other planets. The JWST is expected to provide groundbreaking discoveries and revolutionize our understanding of the universe.
The presentation was beyond cringe. Awful. Absolutely hated it. I'm surprised they did not put in a few adverts for burgers and fries...

That said the images were amazing and all that data will be making the science community very excited.

Last edited:
Likes BvU
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Jarvis323 said:
This structure stands out as the strangest in the image to me. Any idea what it is?

View attachment 304053
"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away"

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
BillTre said:
"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away"
There is nothing. Absolutely nothing. Drive there and have a look!

Likes pinball1970
A tiny portion of the full sized image to give some idea of the resolution:

1657641602843.png

• Wow
  • Love
Likes MevsEinstein, DennisN, collinsmark and 5 others
Check out Google today.

• Haha
Likes MevsEinstein, phinds and BillTre
Borg said:
Check out Google today.
LOL, forgot to remove the lens cap! :smile:

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 9.25.59 AM.png

Teamwork is a force multiplier.

• Love
Likes 2milehi, DennisN, collinsmark and 4 others
...it hadn't sunk in how big the thing is until I saw that photo. I presume that's a 1:1 scale model.

Likes BillTre
Wow, that pic brings back memories. Not of the Webb but of GSFC where I worked for 16 years.

Likes pinball1970, DennisN, berkeman and 1 other person
Ibix said:
...it hadn't sunk in how big the thing is until I saw that photo. I presume that's a 1:1 scale model.
Tennis court!

Likes BillTre and Ibix
Ibix said:
Yes, it's a full scale model

Likes BillTre and Ibix
No point in launching a small telescope.

Likes BillTre
Vanadium 50 said:
No point in launching a small telescope.
Sure. It was just one of those moments of difference between knowing the dimensions and grokking them, if you see what I mean.

I think that now is the time to declare JWST as an outstanding success. Bravo to the JWST team.

The James Webb Space Telescope is an international collaboration among NASA, the European Space Agency (ESA), and the Canadian Space Agency (CSA).
  • NASA: Overall responsibility for the mission
  • ESA: Provides the Near Infrared Spectrograph, Mid-Infrared Instrument Optics Assembly, and the Ariane Launch Vehicle
  • CSA: Provides the Fine Guidance Sensor/Near Infrared Imager and Slitless Spectrograph

As an engineer, I was very skeptical that they could make such a long chain of critical steps succeed on the first and only try. I'm delighted to be proven completely wrong.

JWST deserves it's place in my earlier thread.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/bold-monster-engineering-successes.1003708/

Last edited:
Likes Lord Crc, DennisN, BillTre and 5 others
I wonder if someone can answer a question for me. Probably a silly question but I am looking at the "star death" image, the planetary nebula. It looks like we are looking through a big hole in a spherical object, or is it a flat ring around the star we are looking at from above? The main reason for my question is that you can see the gas and dust inside the nebula that looks like behind the star it is a solid wall. I imagine when the star explodes it blows stuff out in all directions.

Kevin the Kiwi said:
I wonder if someone can answer a question for me. Probably a silly question but I am looking at the "star death" image, the planetary nebula. It looks like we are looking through a big hole in a spherical object, or is it a flat ring around the star we are looking at from above? The main reason for my question is that you can see the gas and dust inside the nebula that looks like behind the star it is a solid wall. I imagine when the star explodes it blows stuff out in all directions.
It is a spherical shell, but you are looking through less material in the center as along the edges (see sketch), so it makes it look like an annular ring. The material you say is "behind the star" is both in front of and behind the star.

Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 10.30.43 AM.png

• Informative
Likes Kevin the Kiwi, BillTre and Oldman too
phyzguy said:
It is a spherical shell, but you are looking through less material in the center as along the edges (see sketch), so it makes it look like an annular ring. The material you say is "behind the star" is both in front of and behind the star.

View attachment 304135

Ah yes, that makes complete sense, I honestly never would have thought of that. Thank you for your reply.

jupiter_hi_res_atmo-1.png

“Jupiter, center, and its moon Europa, left, are seen through the James Webb Space Telescope’s NIRCam instrument 2.12 micron filter. Credits: NASA, ESA, CSA, and B. Holler and J. Stansberry (STScI)”
https://blogs.nasa.gov/webb/2022/07...and-more-now-available-in-commissioning-data/

james-webb-jupiter-nasa.png

“Two photos of Jupiter taken by the James Webb Space Telescope. The left image was taken using a NIRCam (near infrared camera) to examine the planet’s short wavelengths of light. The right image was taken with a filter that highlights long wavelengths. NASA”

https://globalnews.ca/news/8987398/james-webb-space-telescope-pictures-jupiter-why-you-missed-them/

Likes Oldman too, DennisN and BWV
  • Informative
Likes Oldman too, russ_watters and anorlunda

Webb telescope suffered ‘uncorrectable damage’ in micrometeoroid hit, NASA report says​

https://thehill.com/policy/technolo...amage-in-micrometeoroid-hit-nasa-report-says/

At 21 feet, Webb’s gold-plated, flower-shaped mirror is the biggest and most sensitive ever sent into space. It’s comprised of 18 segments, one of which was smacked by the bigger than anticipated micrometeoroid in May. Micrometeoroids are fragments of asteroids that are usually smaller than a grain of sand, according to NASA.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/webb-telescope-suffered-uncorrectable-damage-030948640.html

• Sad
  • Wow
  • Informative
Likes Oldman too, DennisN, vanhees71 and 2 others
Here's a new video from the Royal Institution:
(I haven't seen it yet, but I wanted to share it)

Solar system science from the James Webb Space Telescope – with Naomi Rowe-Gurney (RI)
What is the JWST, and what big science questions can it answer? Join NASA scientist Naomi as she discusses the new JWST images, along with her research into the ice giants, Uranus and Neptune, and the many other areas that JWST can help with.

Edit: And the Q&A is here:

Q&A: Solar system science from the James Webb Space Telescope – with Naomi Rowe-Gurney (RI)

Last edited:
Likes Oldman too, collinsmark, vanhees71 and 2 others
11-Untitled-27.jpg

12-Untitled-26.jpg

13-Untitled-24.jpg

14-Untitled-20.jpg

15-Untitled-29.jpg

16-Untitled-54.jpg

17-Untitled-63.jpg

18-Untitled-80.jpg

19-Untitled-83.jpg

20-Untitled-123.jpg

Likes Oldman too
21-Untitled-12.jpg

22-Untitled-8.jpg

23-Untitled-18.jpg

24-Untitled-25.jpg

25-Untitled-35.jpg

26-Untitled-42.jpg

27-Untitled-46.jpg

28-Untitled-47.jpg

29-Untitled-49.jpg

30-Untitled-112.jpg

31-Untitled-1.jpg

32-Untitled-2.jpg

33-Untitled-52.jpg

34-Untitled-50.jpg

35-Untitled-56.jpg

36-Untitled-60.jpg

37-Untitled-75.jpg

38-Untitled-79.jpg

39-Untitled-86.jpg

40-Untitled-91.jpg

Likes Buzz Bloom
41-Untitled-36.jpg

42-Untitled-19.jpg

43-Untitled-48.jpg

44-Untitled-44.jpg

45-Untitled-69.jpg

46-Untitled-73.jpg

47-Untitled-77.jpg

48-Untitled-78.jpg

49-Untitled-97.jpg

50-Untitled-132.jpg

Likes Oldman too and Buzz Bloom
I was surprised at the nomenclature -- Population III stars in the oldest galaxies. I would have guessed that the numbering would run the other direction. I looked it up and learned that my understanding was backwards.

Every day on PF I get to learn something new. :smile:

Likes vanhees71, Oldman too and Astronuc
Astronomy has the interesting practice that nothing ever gets re-defined. Hipparchus defined the magnitude scale almost 3000 more than 2000 years ago, and called the brightest stars 1st magnitude, the next brightest 2nd magnitude, and so on. So we are stuck with a magnitude scale that runs backwards - where brighter stars have a smaller magnitude than dimmer stars.

Population I and Population II were defined before anyone knew why they were different and that Population II came before Population I.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and anorlunda