The James Webb Space Telescope

In summary, the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) is a highly advanced telescope that is set to launch in 2021. It is designed to study the universe in infrared light and will be able to see further and with more clarity than any other telescope before it. The JWST will be placed in orbit around the Sun, approximately 1.5 million kilometers from Earth, and will be able to observe objects dating back to the early universe. Its primary goals include studying the formation of galaxies, the birth of stars and planets, and potentially even finding signs of life on other planets. The JWST is expected to provide groundbreaking discoveries and revolutionize our understanding of the universe.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
test_00002.jpg

test_00003.jpg

@Devin-M are we supposed to guess what those are?

Likes vanhees71
phyzguy said:
Astronomy has the interesting practice that nothing ever gets re-defined. Hipparchus defined the magnitude scale almost 3000 more than 2000 years ago, and called the brightest stars 1st magnitude, the next brightest 2nd magnitude, and so on. So we are stuck with a magnitude scale that runs backwards - where brighter stars have a smaller magnitude than dimmer stars.

Population I and Population II were defined before anyone knew why they were different and that Population II came before Population I.

The numbering makes sense to me. You know you can see the brightest stars, and who the heck knows how many classifications you're going to want for the stars you can't see yet.

Likes vanhees71 and Oldman too
phinds said:
@Devin-M are we supposed to guess what those are?
test.jpg
Here's what it would look like through a 2000mm telescope in Stellarium:
Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 10.38.32 AM.png

RA 11h06m18.79s Dec -77º22'50.9"

James Webb NIRCam:
test_00002-jpg.jpg

100% Crop:
test_00003-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Likes Oldman too
Office_Shredder said:
The numbering makes sense to me. You know you can see the brightest stars, and who the heck knows how many classifications you're going to want for the stars you can't see yet.
When it was just a numbering classification, it made perfect sense, which is why Hipparchus defined it that way. But later, when quantitative measurements of brightness arrived, we turned it into a quantitative magnitude scale for measuring brightness. After doing that, we really would rather have a brighter object have a larger magnitude. But that would mean re-defining the scale. So today, the faintest objects we can see with our eyes are m=6.0, the faintest objects seen in large telescopes are about m=30.0 and the sun is m=-26.

Likes vanhees71
RA 01:07:47.200 DEC -17:30:25.00
JWST NIRCam Bi-Color, F150W & F200W Filters, 2319s exp per filter
Processed w/ SiriL, Adobe Photoshop & Lightroom
bicolor_620h.jpg

100% Crop:
bicolor_100pc.jpg

bicolor.png

• Informative
Likes Maarten Havinga and Oldman too
RA 2:17:46 DEC -05:16:15
JWST NIRCam 7-29-22 12:04
1_620h.jpg

2_620h.jpg

1_100pc.jpg

files.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes Oldman too and anorlunda
tricolor-800w.jpg

crop.jpg

files.png

Likes Oldman too
bicolor-2-620h.jpg

bicolor-2-100pc-1.jpg

bicolor-2-100pc-2.jpg

files.png

Likes pinball1970 and Oldman too
1 Sensor:
composite_crop.jpg

8 Sensor Mosaic:
composite.jpg

100% Crop:
100pc-crop.jpg

files.png

• Wow
  • Informative
Likes pinball1970 and Oldman too
NGC 3324 MIRI Composite - Filters: 770W (Blue), 1130W (Green), 1280W (Red)

ngc_3324_composite-3_800w.jpg

100% Crop:
ngc_3324_composite-3_100pc-2.jpg

100% Crop:
ngc_3324_composite-3_100pc-1.jpg

files.png

Likes Oldman too
Messier 92 (Globular Cluster):
m92_800w.jpg

1 Sensor:
m92_620h.jpg

100% Crop:
m92_100pc.jpg

files.png

IC 5332 Galaxy
MIRI Instrument, Filters: F1130W & F2100W
composite-620h.jpg

files.png

• Love
Likes Oldman too
Hubble verses Webb- Earendel

1659612486192.png

• Informative
Likes DennisN and Oldman too
I'm confused. If those are pics of the same area, how is it possible that the orientation / arrangement of the galaxies is so different?
1659613760985.png

phinds said:
I'm confused. If those are pics of the same area, how is it possible that the orientation / arrangement of the galaxies is so different?
One picture is rotated in respect to the other.

Likes phinds
Motore said:
One picture is rotated in respect to the other.
AH HA! I was looking for 90-degree flips/mirrors/whatever. Not very bright this morning. Thanks.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
phinds said:
AH HA! I was looking for 90-degree flips/mirrors/whatever. Not very bright this morning. Thanks.
About 33deg

1659614735681.png

Likes Oldman too
pinball1970 said:
About 33deg
I'm up way too early this morning (long story) and I was only able to think in 90 degree increments. :oldlaugh:

• Haha
Likes jim mcnamara, DennisN, pinball1970 and 2 others
NGC 1365:
rgb-800w.jpg

core-800w.jpg

files.jpg

Likes Oldman too, DennisN and Maarten Havinga
This is the other post I have been looking for but I cannot find a full article or paper on it

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...otted-by-jwst-may-be-closer-than-they-appear/

This link mentions a calibration update but I am not subscribed so cannot read the rest.

The article I read/saw that I did not have time to post frustratingly, mentioned JWST ability to detect IR much better than any telescope before it. Therefore Galaxies "appear" to be further away than they actually are and the error could be as much as 20%.

This confused me, I though the whole point was Webb was designed for that very purpose so what did they expect?

Is that not an intensity rather than wavelength issue? Because the mirror is huge? collecting more photons?

Also, is it not possible to distinguish IR from a shorter wavelength that is red shifted to IR? What about Blue, red shifted to IR? UV?

Seems I don't get red shift at all (I am on it)

Like I said I can only apologize for the vagueness I am hoping that link will have the article with the link to an actual paper.

pinball1970 said:
The article I read/saw that I did not have time to post frustratingly, mentioned JWST ability to detect IR much better than any telescope before it. Therefore Galaxies "appear" to be further away than they actually are and the error could be as much as 20%.
That doesn't seem to make sense, but it's hard to judge without context. Maybe they just discuss how certain parameters are still not very well known, but that should be a symmetric uncertainty.
pinball1970 said:
Also, is it not possible to distinguish IR from a shorter wavelength that is red shifted to IR? What about Blue, red shifted to IR? UV?
It's only possible if you can find spectroscopic lines or use other spectroscopic features (like the Lyman break). Taken on its own a UV photon redshifted by a factor 15 to 3 micrometers and a visible light photon redshifted by a factor 5 to 3 micrometers are identical.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
mfb said:
That doesn't seem to make sense, but it's hard to judge without context. Maybe they just discuss how certain parameters are still not very well known, but that should be a symmetric uncertainty.It's only possible if you can find spectroscopic lines or use other spectroscopic features (like the Lyman break). Taken on its own a UV photon redshifted by a factor 15 to 3 micrometers and a visible light photon redshifted by a factor 5 to 3 micrometers are identical.
Ok That makes sense thanks. I think I have come across that before

If I find that article I will post it and get your/pf view.

pinball1970 said:
Ok That makes sense thanks. I think I have come across that before

If I find that article I will post it and get your/pf view.
I have a subscription and the article contains the following relevant sentence:
NIRCam (one of the main cameras on the telescope) was overperforming in its reddest wavelengths.
This suggests that the problem affected calculations that compared the relative brightness at different wavelengths.

Likes pinball1970 and mfb
pinball1970 said:
Therefore Galaxies "appear" to be further away than they actually are and the error could be as much as 20%.
The shift only tells you the recession speed and, although the shift of the (faint) spectral lines can only be measured to a certain accuracy, the distance that's calculated from that red shift depends on the Hubble constant being a constant. Another quantity that can be measured is the brightness of the observed objects and that can be affected by (unknown) quantities of dust etc. Will they actually know the sort of spectral tilt out towards the IR? I imagine that could affect their distance estimation. But someone will sort it out, I'm sure, with the appropriate frigg factor.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
Jonathan Scott said:
This suggests that the problem affected calculations that compared the relative brightness at different wavelengths.
Would fit to the Lyman break, which is a drop in intensity at a specific wavelength. A miscalibration of the relative brightness shifts the fitted wavelength.

There is a twitter bot announcing the current JWST observation target with a reference to the science proposal: https://twitter.com/jwstobservation. Example:
I am now observing P330E using NIRCam Engineering Imaging for 4 hours and 20 minutes. Keywords: G dwarfs. Proposal: https://stsci.edu/jwst/phase2-public/1538.pdf 55:1

• Informative
Likes Oldman too, DennisN, jim mcnamara and 2 others
Finally found the link that specifically mentions this 20%

https://www.vice.com/en/article/5d3...ames-webb-may-not-be-so-distant-due-to-errors

The pre print

https://arxiv.org/abs/2207.11217

Adams

“When we get spectroscopy, I have little doubt that some of these galaxies we thought were very high redshifts will turn out not to be,” Adams concluded. “But with that solid answer to hand, we can begin the process of figuring out why and refining our techniques. After all, that's what science is about!”

pinball1970 said:
When we get spectroscopy, I have little doubt that some of these galaxies we thought were very high redshifts will turn out not to be,”
That statement seems to show some careless publicity of their results. How ever could they be sure about the red shift if they haven't actually measured it? A bit egg on face iyam.

100 AU away from its star at a distance of 400 AU light years.

A planet orbiting one of the stars of Alpha Centauri at 1 AU would have a similar apparent distance and this looks well-separated from the parent star, so in principle a couple of habitable planets could get direct images and spectra from JWST.

Last edited:
Likes DennisN
mfb said:
100 AU away from its star at a distance of 400 AU.
I think you mean 400 light years.

Likes mfb
A nice side by side comparison of Hubble and JWST. ORION NEBULA
1663241783475.png

Likes vanhees71, OmCheeto, collinsmark and 7 others
Last edited: