1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Legendre transform of ##f(x) = \exp(\lvert x\rvert )##

1. Jan 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let the single variable real function [itex]f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}[/itex] be given by [itex]f(x)=e^{|x|}[/itex].
    Determine the Legendre transform of [itex]f[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    Let [itex]I\subseteq\mathbb{R}[/itex]be an interval, and [itex] f:I\rightarrow\mathbb{R}[/itex]a convex function. Then its Legendre transform is the function [itex]f^{\ast}:I^{\ast}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}[/itex]defined by : [itex]f^{\ast}(p) = \sup\lbrace xp - f(x)\hspace{1mm}\vert\hspace{1mm}x\in\mathbb{R}\rbrace[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    The function f is clearly a convex function and the supremum can easily by evaluated by finding the global maximum for [itex]xp-f(x)[/itex]. This yields

[itex]f^{\ast}(p) = \left\lbrace
    \begin{aligned}
    &p\big(\ln p - 1\big) \hspace{6pt},\hspace{12pt}p>0 \\
    &-1 \hspace{6pt},\hspace{46pt}p=0\\
    &f(-p) \hspace{6pt},\hspace{36pt}p<0
    \end{aligned}
    \right.[/itex]

My problem is that this function isn't convex nor isn't continuous on [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] as I would expect the Legendre transform to be... Have I misunderstood something or simply done the legendre transform wrong? If the latter what have I then done wrong?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2015 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I suggest you plot y = exp(|x|) over some x-interval (-a,a) to clarify your thoughts about the function.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted