The Legendre transform of ##f(x) = \exp(\lvert x\rvert )##

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Wuberdall
Messages
32
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Let the single variable real function [itex]f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}[/itex] be given by [itex]f(x)=e^{|x|}[/itex].
Determine the Legendre transform of [itex]f[/itex].

Homework Equations


Let [itex]I\subseteq\mathbb{R}[/itex]be an interval, and [itex]f:I\rightarrow\mathbb{R}[/itex]a convex function. Then its Legendre transform is the function [itex]f^{\ast}:I^{\ast}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}[/itex]defined by : [itex]f^{\ast}(p) = \sup\lbrace xp - f(x)\hspace{1mm}\vert\hspace{1mm}x\in\mathbb{R}\rbrace[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution


The function f is clearly a convex function and the supremum can easily by evaluated by finding the global maximum for [itex]xp-f(x)[/itex]. This yields

[itex]f^{\ast}(p) = \left\lbrace<br /> \begin{aligned}<br /> &p\big(\ln p - 1\big) \hspace{6pt},\hspace{12pt}p>0 \\<br /> &-1 \hspace{6pt},\hspace{46pt}p=0\\<br /> &f(-p) \hspace{6pt},\hspace{36pt}p<0<br /> \end{aligned}<br /> \right.[/itex]

My problem is that this function isn't convex nor isn't continuous on [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] as I would expect the Legendre transform to be... Have I misunderstood something or simply done the legendre transform wrong? If the latter what have I then done wrong?

Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Wuberdall said:

Homework Statement


Let the single variable real function [itex]f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}[/itex] be given by [itex]f(x)=e^{|x|}[/itex].
Determine the Legendre transform of [itex]f[/itex].

Homework Equations


Let [itex]I\subseteq\mathbb{R}[/itex]be an interval, and [itex]f:I\rightarrow\mathbb{R}[/itex]a convex function. Then its Legendre transform is the function [itex]f^{\ast}:I^{\ast}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}[/itex]defined by : [itex]f^{\ast}(p) = \sup\lbrace xp - f(x)\hspace{1mm}\vert\hspace{1mm}x\in\mathbb{R}\rbrace[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution


The function f is clearly a convex function and the supremum can easily by evaluated by finding the global maximum for [itex]xp-f(x)[/itex]. This yields

[itex]f^{\ast}(p) = \left\lbrace<br /> \begin{aligned}<br /> &p\big(\ln p - 1\big) \hspace{6pt},\hspace{12pt}p>0 \\<br /> &-1 \hspace{6pt},\hspace{46pt}p=0\\<br /> &f(-p) \hspace{6pt},\hspace{36pt}p<0<br /> \end{aligned}<br /> \right.[/itex]

My problem is that this function isn't convex nor isn't continuous on [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] as I would expect the Legendre transform to be... Have I misunderstood something or simply done the legendre transform wrong? If the latter what have I then done wrong?

Thanks in advance.

I suggest you plot y = exp(|x|) over some x-interval (-a,a) to clarify your thoughts about the function.