Legendre Transformation of f(x) = x^3

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
RJLiberator
Gold Member
Messages
1,094
Reaction score
63

Homework Statement


[/B]
Find the Legendre Transformation of [tex]f(x)=x^3[/tex]

Homework Equations


[tex]m(x) = f'(x) = 3x^2[/tex]
[tex]x = {\sqrt{\frac{m(x)}{3}}}[/tex]
[tex]g = f(x)-xm[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I am reading a quick description of the Legendre Transformation in my required text and it has the example giving for the function [tex]f(x) = \frac{1}{2}e^{2x}[/tex]

Thus, I am trying to follow through with it as follows:

[tex]g=f(x)-xm = x^3-x(3x^2)[/tex]

The problem for me exists in the next step. For them, they had an easy simplification for their example problem. In my problem, m does not equal x^3, m is equal to 3x^2.

Can I do this to solve the transformation:

Since [tex]x = {\sqrt{\frac{m(x)}{3}}}[/tex]

We have
[tex]({\sqrt{\frac{m(x)}{3}}})^3- {\sqrt{\frac{m(x)}{3}}}m = g(m)[/tex]

And that is the Legendre transformation of x^3.

Note* First time ever being exposed to Legendre Transformation.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:

Homework Statement


[/B]
Find the Legendre Transformation of [tex]f(x)=x^3[/tex]

Homework Equations


[tex]m(x) = f'(x) = 3x^2[/tex]
[tex]x = {\sqrt{\frac{m(x)}{3}}}[/tex]
[tex]g = f(x)-xm[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I am reading a quick description of the Legendre Transformation in my required text and it has the example giving for the function [tex]f(x) = \frac{1}{2}e^{2x}[/tex]

Thus, I am trying to follow through with it as follows:

[tex]g=f(x)-xm = x^3-x(3x^2)[/tex]

The problem for me exists in the next step. For them, they had an easy simplification for their example problem. In my problem, m does not equal x^3, m is equal to 3x^2.

Can I do this to solve the transformation:

Since [tex]x = {\sqrt{\frac{m(x)}{3}}}[/tex]

We have
[tex]({\sqrt{\frac{m(x)}{3}}})^3- {\sqrt{\frac{m(x)}{3}}}m = g(m)[/tex]

And that is the Legendre transformation of x^3.

Note* First time ever being exposed to Legendre Transformation.

The Legendre Transform ##f^*(p)## of the convex function ##f(x)## with domain ##x \geq 0## is
$$f^*(p) = \max_{x \geq 0} [p x - f(x)] $$
(or with ##\sup## replacing ##\max## if necessary..

Note that you SUBTRACT ##f(x)##, not add it, and you need another variable ##p## as the argument of the transformed function.

Everything would fall apart if you tried to maximize ##f(x) - px##; that is, if you added ##f## instead of subtracting it, the whole theory would fail. There are good reasons for that, but never mind them for now.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: RJLiberator
I am following an example laid out by the book, where am I going wrong? Is it due to the concave vs. convex nature?

and you need another variable p as the argument of the transformed function.

Would my "m" variable be equal to your "p" variable?

So, if I follow the path of mx-f(x), I get:

[tex]g(m) = mx-f(x)= x(3x^2)-x^3[/tex]
And so:
[tex]g(m) = {\sqrt{\frac{m(x)}{3}}}m-({\sqrt{\frac{m(x)}{3}}})^3[/tex]
 
RJLiberator said:
I am following an example laid out by the book, where am I going wrong? Is it due to the concave vs. convex nature?
Would my "m" variable be equal to your "p" variable?

So, if I follow the path of mx-f(x), I get:

[tex]g(m) = mx-f(x)= x(3x^2)-x^3[/tex]
And so:
[tex]g(m) = {\sqrt{\frac{m(x)}{3}}}m-({\sqrt{\frac{m(x)}{3}}})^3[/tex]

Yes, my "p" is your "m".

Some people use ##f(x) - mx## and minimize it instead of maximizing, but the max form is pretty standard. I think it is often done differently in Physics than in Mathematics, and apparently your un-named book does it differently.

I cannot make any sense of what you did; your formula for the Lagrange-transformed function ##g(m)## should not have an "##x##" in it, and the final answer should be negative.
 
I will continue to look into the problem and with your added information I'll try to make sense of it all.
apparently your un-named book does it differently.
Statistical and Thermal Physics:
With Computer Applications
Harvey Gould & Jan Tobochnik