The limit of a power as it tends to infinity.

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof that has hit a snag due to a limit that the speaker is having trouble solving. They have tried using the squeeze rule and grouping powers of p together, but are unsure of how to proceed formally. They request help and a potential solution to the problem.
HTale
I've come across a snag in a proof, and I've become a little exasperated by the following limit:

[itex]\displaystyle \lim_{p\to\infty} \biggl(\frac{{| d |}^{np+p-1} |x|^{p-1}}{(p-1)!} \{(|x| + |\alpha_1|) \ldots (|x| + |\alpha_n|) \}^p\biggr)[/itex]

I've tried the squeeze rule, but an upper bound eludes me. I've only found the lower bound, which is just 0. I've tried to group together all of the powers of p, as follows:

[itex]\displaystyle \lim_{p\to\infty} \biggl(\frac{{| d x|}^{p-1}}{(p-1)!} \{|d|^n(|x| + |\alpha_1|) \ldots (|x| + |\alpha_n|) \}^p\biggr)[/itex]

and maybe use the fact that

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{{| d x|}^{p-1}}{(p-1)!}[/itex]​

tends to zero as p tends to infinity, since the bottom half rises faster than the top half. However, I'm stuck because I don't know how to go about this formally, or if this is the right way to go about it. I'd be really grateful if help was provided, and possibly a solution.

Thank you very very much in advance.

HTale

Physics news on Phys.org
There's nothing very delicate about that limit. C^(Kp)/p! goes to zero for any choice of C or K. Try to change it into a form like that. Start by picking M>|x|,|d|,|a1|,|a2|,...|an|.

1. What is the limit of a power as it tends to infinity?

The limit of a power as it tends to infinity is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input (x) approaches infinity. It is denoted by the symbol "lim" and can be written as lim f(x) = L, where L is the limit of the function as x approaches infinity.

2. How is the limit of a power as it tends to infinity calculated?

The limit of a power as it tends to infinity is calculated by evaluating the function at increasingly larger values of x. If the function approaches a specific value as x gets larger and larger, that value is the limit. However, if the function's value continues to increase or decrease without approaching a specific value, then the limit does not exist.

3. What is the importance of understanding the limit of a power as it tends to infinity?

Understanding the limit of a power as it tends to infinity is important in many areas of mathematics and science. It helps us to understand the behavior of functions and make predictions about their values at extremely large values of x. It is also used in calculus to calculate derivatives and integrals.

4. Can the limit of a power as it tends to infinity be negative?

Yes, the limit of a power as it tends to infinity can be negative. This means that as x approaches infinity, the function's value approaches a negative number. This can happen when the function has a downward trend or "approaches" a negative value as x gets larger and larger.

5. What is the difference between a limit and a horizontal asymptote?

A limit and a horizontal asymptote are related concepts, but they are not the same. A limit describes the behavior of a function as x approaches a specific value, while a horizontal asymptote describes the behavior of a function as x approaches infinity or negative infinity. A function can have a limit at a specific value but no horizontal asymptote, and vice versa.