I urge frequent discussion of the woes of WP--- somewhere else!
Danger said:
I didn't check out the link, but I find it pecular that Wiki would have an article about 'hypersonic sound'.
Indeed. If every physics graduate student in the world joined WP, they might just be able to maintain it despite the incredible inefficiency of its administrative/judicial/legislative procedures. Or it might become even more chaotic (due to the inefficiency of its administrative procedures, aka lack of any central vision, planning, or leadership). What to do? The only thing I can think of is to point out specific problems as you notice them here, and perhaps also by dropping by
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Physics to mention what you spotted. I couldn't advise trying to edit WP yourself (been there, done that, and I regret the time I wasted there). I've tried to discuss the perennial quality control problems of WP elsewhere, so anyone curious can look for that thread, and anyone who wishes to express a dissenting view should start a new thread in another forum, citing my discussion (I probably wouldn't join in though, since even well-reasoned and well-informed criticisms of WP seem to be highly inflammatory to the often ardent fans of that website.)
Daniel, the correct buzzword for low frequency sound is
infrasound. This is a largely unaddressed social issue because of its role in the epidemic of hearing loss (because as already mentioned low frequencies attenuate less rapidly, and are produced at high power by various common consumer items). From
http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/health/hearing-loss.html
Hearing loss is becoming an epidemic problem for today's adults – and it's happening earlier than ever. "People are starting to lose their hearing 20 years earlier than in the past," said Heather Ferguson, president of the Hearing Foundation of Canada in Toronto. "I believe we're on the verge of noise induced hearing loss becoming a public health crisis."
From
http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/conditions/deafness1.shtml
Excessive exposure to noise is an important cause of a particular pattern of hearing loss, contributing to problems for up to 50 per cent of deaf people. Often people fail to realize the damage they're doing to their ears until it's too late. Although loud music is often blamed (and MP3 players are said to be storing up an epidemic of deafness in years to come) research has also blamed tractors (for deafness in children of farmers), aircraft noise, sports shooting and even cordless telephones.
Laws on noise pollution are highly outdated and have been rendered dangerously obsolete by the common availability of various consumer items which generate dangerous levels of infrasound, sufficient to cause permanent hearing loss with a minute or so at considerable distance.