The lorentz transformations usage

In summary, the Lorentz transformations seem to be a bit confusing to me, and the way to treat the "x" coordinate when traveling from Earth to another planet is confusing. The invariant that is obtained from the Lorentz transformation says that the "x" coordinate changes by a certain amount, but I'm not sure what that amount is.
PhMichael
There's something about the lorentz transformations which is somewhat confusing to me, and that is how to treat the "x" coordinate. Supposing I have some spaceship which is moving from Earth to some other planet located at a distance "D" (from earth) with a velocity v. Now, the spacetime coordinates of the events "1. leaving earth" and "2. reaching the planet" are (the spaceship frame is {S'} and that of Earth is {S} ) :

Leaving earth:

[tex] (x_{1},t_{1})=(x'_{1},t'_{1})=(0,0) [/tex]

Reaching the planet:

[tex] (x_{2},t_{2})=(D, \frac{D}{v} ) [/tex]

[tex] (x'_{2},t'_{2})=(0 , \gamma (t_{2} - (v/c^{2})x_{2})=(0 , \gamma (t_{2} - (v/c^{2})D) [/tex]

Now comes the confusing point which is how to treat [tex] x_{3} [/tex] which corresponds to the event of returning back to Earth in the Earth's frame. (in the spaceship frame it is [tex] x'_{3} = 0 [/tex] )

The Lorentz transformations relates coordinates and not distances so [tex] x_{3} = 0 [/tex] because the spaceship returns to the origin of Earth and [tex] t_{3} = \frac{2D}{v} [/tex]. However, as I have seen in my notes:

[tex] x_{3} = 2D [/tex]

, that is, the distance that this spaceship travels is what is accounted for and not its coordinate.

Can anyone clear this point for me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that must be a mistake in your notes. Assuming the turn-around is instantaneous, then in "earth coordinates" you will have x = 0, t = 2D/v for the spaceship returning on earth.

[Be aware, by the way, that you are basically working out the twin paradox.]

But if [tex] (x_{3} , t_{3} ) = ( 0 , 2D/v ) [/tex] then for [tex] t'_{3} [/tex] we'll have:

[tex] t'_{3} = \gamma (t_{3} - (v/c^{2}) x_{3} ) = \frac{2D/v}{\sqrt{1-(v/c)^{2}}} [/tex]

while the answer should be:

[tex] t'_{3} = \frac{(2D/v) - (2Dv/c^{2})}{\sqrt{1-(v/c)^{2}}} [/tex]

that is, [tex] x_{3} = 2D [/tex] and not [tex] x_{3} = 0 [/tex]

Why?

Last edited:
Did you account for different Lorentz transformations because the ship is now traveling in the opposite direction?

Because there aren't only two frames S and S'. When the ship turns around, there's now a third frame, S''. There's a different set of Lorentz transformations that relate the coordinates in S to the coordinates in S''.

I haven't got that ... why have you introduced a third frame? and what is it?

wikipedia uses some terminology that I haven't heard of :D

anyway, I noticed that if I use that same table with the invariant then I get the right answer:

Invarinat: [tex] l^{2}= (\Delta x)^{2} - c^2 (\Delta t)^{2} [/tex]

[tex] 1 \to 2 [/tex]

[tex] 24^{2} c^{2} - c^{2} 25^2 = 0^{2} - c^{2} (\Delta t')^{2} , t'_{1}=0[/tex]

[tex] t'_{2}=7 [yr] [/tex]

=============================

[tex] 2 \to 3 [/tex]

[tex] (0-24)^{2}c^{2}-(50-25)^{2}c^{2}=0^{2}-c^{2}(\Delta t')^{2} , t'_{2}=7 [/tex]

[tex] t'_{3}=14 [yr] [/tex]

which is strange because this invariant is obtaind from the Lorentz tansformation (isn't it?).

1. What are the Lorentz transformations?

The Lorentz transformations are a set of equations used in special relativity to describe how measurements of space and time appear to change between two different inertial reference frames moving at constant velocities relative to each other.

2. Why are the Lorentz transformations important in physics?

The Lorentz transformations are important because they allow us to reconcile the laws of physics between different reference frames. They also accurately predict the effects of time dilation and length contraction, which are fundamental concepts in special relativity.

3. How are the Lorentz transformations derived?

The Lorentz transformations are derived from the principles of special relativity, specifically the constancy of the speed of light and the relativity of simultaneity. They were first developed by physicist Hendrik Lorentz and later refined by Albert Einstein.

4. Can the Lorentz transformations be applied to all types of motion?

No, the Lorentz transformations only apply to inertial motion, which is motion at a constant velocity. They do not apply to accelerated motion or motion involving gravity.

5. Are the Lorentz transformations only used in special relativity?

While the Lorentz transformations were initially developed in the context of special relativity, they have also been applied in other areas of physics such as electromagnetism and quantum mechanics. They are considered a key tool in understanding the relationship between space and time in modern physics.