1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Magnetic Field

1. Mar 5, 2008 #1
    1. What are the magnetic field strength and direction at points 1 to 3 in the figure?
    Okay, sorry, once again i dont know how to get the picture up here so ill describe it!
    There are 2 long wires 4 cm apart, the one on top with a current of 10 A in the positive x direction and the one on the bottom with a current of 10 A in the negative x direction.
    Point 1 is 2cm above the top wire.
    Point 2 in directly in between the two wires.
    Point 3 is 2cm underneath the bottom wire.

2. Relevant equations
    Okay so here im thinking something along the lines of that B = (u0/4pi)(Is 'r-hat'/r^2)
    or maybe i found this equation in my notes that could be helpful and my gut says its the better bet
    B = (u0I)/(2pid)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Point 1 : (u0*10A)/(2pi*0.02m)
    Point 2 : since it is inbetween two wires with opposite currents, so opposite fields (???) my guess is that it is equal to 0???
    Point 3 : the opposite of point 1

Im also curious as to whether we assign a negative or positive value to the current??
    And also would the bottom wire have an effect on the magnetic field at point 1??

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2008 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

You have to decide the direction of the field by right hand clasp rule. Accordingly the field at point 1 due to top wire is coming out of the paper at a distance 2 cm from the wire and field due to bottom wire is going into the paper at a distance 6 cm from this wire. Apply the same rule to the other points.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?