1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The mass of the pendulum bob was determined on an electronic scale and

1. Jul 27, 2012 #1
    The mass of the pendulum bob was determined on an electronic scale and its diamter was measured using calipers. The initial height was measured with a meter stick. At the lowest point of its swing, the pendulum bob broke a photogate light beam. The time interval that the light was interrupted was recorded on an electronic timer attached to the photogate.
    Use the following data to complete a report.
    MAss of pendulum bob = 240.3 g
    Diameter of pendulum bob = 3.50 cm
    Initial height of pendulum bob = 48.0 cm
    Length of pendulum string = 2.14 m
    Time interval of photogate light interruption = 11.8 ms

Your report should include the following:
    (a) conclusion as to whether or not the pendulum demonstrated the law of conservation of energy
    (b) calculations of the efficiency of the pendulum as a mechanical machine
    (c) any statements of sources of error
    (d) your suggestions for improving the design of the investigation.
    Relevant equations[/b]

3. The attempt at a solution

Am I supposed to perform this experiement myself, becuase they are giving me all the measurments (therefore am I just doing an analysis) I am not quite sure how to go a outs this since they give me everything

To see if it obeys law of conservation Of energy I was going to see if the initial height matches the final hiring using 9.8m/s and my v ... Is that correct and how do I find efficnecy

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2012 #2
    Re: Pendlulum

Oh and I converted grams to kg and cm to m

4. Jul 27, 2012 #3

the experiment has been carried out for you (imagine that you watched it happening). You are then going to process the results.

I don't know what you mean by "final hiring using 9.8m/s"

What "v" are you referring to? You have yet to give a calculation for v, or to say what v is.

5. Jul 27, 2012 #4
    How do I calculate for v?

6. Jul 27, 2012 #5

I know I use diameter and the 11.8 ms but I don't know the equation

7. Jul 27, 2012 #6

err you introduced v. I don't know what you mean by v.

By way of an extreme example I'm currently sitting still so my "v" I'd say was currently zero.

8. Jul 27, 2012 #7

So if I use this equation

1/2mv^2+mgdeltah

It look like this.

0+0.3403 x 9.8m/s^2 x 0.48m?

Which equals 1.6 j as its initial spot at a...

9. Jul 27, 2012 #8

Then for final height I did

0+ mgdeltah= 1.6J
    (0.3403)(9.8m/s^2)deltah=1.6J

So delta h = 0.48 therefore it obeys the law?

10. Jul 27, 2012 #9

I'm stuck here. I don't know what you mean. I can't help with equations or verifying any answer until I know what steps you plan on using to answer the pendulum problem you have been set.

11. Jul 27, 2012 #10

That's what I used above ?? I don't understand why they gave me so much info

12. Jul 27, 2012 #11

I've covered that...

13. Jul 27, 2012 #12

And you are saying I need v.. So how to I get that? What equation do I use?

14. Jul 27, 2012 #13

You said you will use v in your opening post. You did not say what this v that you need is.

You need to say what v is before anyone can help you calculate it.

15. Jul 27, 2012 #14

So v is 0 for the first hieght. The starting hieght at 0.48m r 48cm .. Because it is not moving.

I need to know what v is for the final so I can determine te hieght. So how do I find v when I have calculate the J for E mechancal. As posted above in previouse post

16. Jul 27, 2012 #15

You still are not saying what v is. For example every pendulum I've ever seen eventually stops so my final value is going to be zero. But that does not help you because I haven't said what I mean by v. On one pendulum clock I saw the escapement broke and the pendulum was thrown across the room. Numbers alone have no meaning.

Describe what you mean by v in words. Make it very clear so there can be no misunderstanding.

17. Jul 27, 2012 #16

Ok v is speed sorry

18. Jul 27, 2012 #17

speed of what?

19. Jul 27, 2012 #18

Of the pendulum when it hits its final hieght ...

20. Jul 27, 2012 #19

How will knowing that value help you? [You need a plan for how you are going to answer the question in your opening post]

21. Jul 27, 2012 #20

Yes so my initial speed v is 0m/s as when it starts at intial hieght at 0.48m it is not moving. I need to find out the speed when it moves to the other side and need that hieght I determine if it obeys the law or not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook