1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Millennium problems

1. May 17, 2007 #1
    Hi,
    Does anyone know about the Seven Millennium problems, if yes can any one explain to me the yang mills theory, navier stokes equation and the poincare conjucture in great detail:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2007 #2
    I recommend you read: Keith J. Devlin - The Millennium Problems

Some of them are pretty much taken but if you solve the other ones it's a million a pop. :smile:

The latest one solved is the Poincaré conjecture using surgery procedures with a difference on Ricci flows. Grigori Perelman came up with that, but Ricci flow came from Richard Hamilton.

See also the http://www.claymath.org/millennium/" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  4. May 17, 2007 #3

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Yes get a book. Explain those is great detail to you? I swear this is some kind of joke lol.

5. May 17, 2007 #4
    I swear you are some kind of a joke. He didn't say in detail, so it's a fair call.

6. May 17, 2007 #5
    Actually he did, so the second part of my post can die.

7. May 17, 2007 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But you are going to leave the insult?

8. May 17, 2007 #7
    I think he said it jokingly...

9. May 17, 2007 #8
    Yeah I did.
    How about "my whole post can die".

10. May 17, 2007 #9

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yangs mill theorem:

Given a paper mill that prints ying yang water-marked rice paper with a water wheel that has radius r, paddle size x by y, in a river whose flow is described by a differential equation of third order wrt position in the river, how many pieces of paper can it churn out an hour?

11. May 18, 2007 #10

Curious3141

Homework Helper

None. The mill didn't comply with the city's Feng Shui code, so it was closed down. :biggrin:

12. May 18, 2007 #11
    Actually I have a slightly more serious question regarding the Yang Mills problem. What type of mathematician will most likely solve it? i.e. a pure mathematician or a mathematical physicist? If the former an analyst, topologist or an algebracist?

13. May 18, 2007 #12
    Well, who can say really, but it is a problem in mathematical physics...

14. May 26, 2007 #13

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

actually i have solved 5 of them, but the word length limit here prohibits me from posting the solutions. And since I care nothing for fame, I also decline to submit them for refereeing. I may include them in coded form in my next comic book.

Last edited: May 26, 2007
  15. May 26, 2007 #14
    Have you considered donating the proofs to charity? There are mathematicians around the world starving for theorems, adopt a mathematician.

16. May 26, 2007 #15

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

This reminds me of the ship that didn't sink with Hardy :wink:

17. May 28, 2007 #16

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

mathwonk, I looked through your comic book, and only three of those proofs are correct. In particular, you twice state the Miller-CoorsTheorem with incorrect hypothesis

18. May 28, 2007 #17

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yes, i keep forgetting, is it less taste? or more filling?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook