Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Millennium problems

1. May 17, 2007 #1
    Hi,
    Does anyone know about the Seven Millennium problems, if yes can any one explain to me the yang mills theory, navier stokes equation and the poincare conjucture in great detail:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2007 #2
    I recommend you read: Keith J. Devlin - The Millennium Problems

Some of them are pretty much taken but if you solve the other ones it's a million a pop. :smile:

The latest one solved is the Poincaré conjecture using surgery procedures with a difference on Ricci flows. Grigori Perelman came up with that, but Ricci flow came from Richard Hamilton.

See also the Clay Mathematics Institute

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  4. May 17, 2007 #3

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Yes get a book. Explain those is great detail to you? I swear this is some kind of joke lol.

5. May 17, 2007 #4
    I swear you are some kind of a joke. He didn't say in detail, so it's a fair call.

6. May 17, 2007 #5
    Actually he did, so the second part of my post can die.

7. May 17, 2007 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But you are going to leave the insult?

8. May 17, 2007 #7
    I think he said it jokingly...

9. May 17, 2007 #8
    Yeah I did.
    How about "my whole post can die".

10. May 17, 2007 #9

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yangs mill theorem:

Given a paper mill that prints ying yang water-marked rice paper with a water wheel that has radius r, paddle size x by y, in a river whose flow is described by a differential equation of third order wrt position in the river, how many pieces of paper can it churn out an hour?

11. May 18, 2007 #10

Curious3141

Homework Helper

None. The mill didn't comply with the city's Feng Shui code, so it was closed down. :biggrin:

12. May 18, 2007 #11
    Actually I have a slightly more serious question regarding the Yang Mills problem. What type of mathematician will most likely solve it? i.e. a pure mathematician or a mathematical physicist? If the former an analyst, topologist or an algebracist?

13. May 18, 2007 #12
    Well, who can say really, but it is a problem in mathematical physics...

14. May 26, 2007 #13

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

actually i have solved 5 of them, but the word length limit here prohibits me from posting the solutions. And since I care nothing for fame, I also decline to submit them for refereeing. I may include them in coded form in my next comic book.

Last edited: May 26, 2007
  15. May 26, 2007 #14
    Have you considered donating the proofs to charity? There are mathematicians around the world starving for theorems, adopt a mathematician.

16. May 26, 2007 #15

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

This reminds me of the ship that didn't sink with Hardy :wink:

17. May 28, 2007 #16

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

mathwonk, I looked through your comic book, and only three of those proofs are correct. In particular, you twice state the Miller-CoorsTheorem with incorrect hypothesis

18. May 28, 2007 #17

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

yes, i keep forgetting, is it less taste? or more filling?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?