The Millennium problems

Hi,
Does anyone know about the Seven Millennium problems, if yes can any one explain to me the yang mills theory, navier stokes equation and the poincare conjucture in great detail:smile:

Answers and Replies

I recommend you read: Keith J. Devlin - The Millennium Problems

Some of them are pretty much taken but if you solve the other ones it's a million a pop. :smile:

The latest one solved is the Poincaré conjecture using surgery procedures with a difference on Ricci flows. Grigori Perelman came up with that, but Ricci flow came from Richard Hamilton.

See also the http://www.claymath.org/millennium/" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Gib Z
Homework Helper
Hi,
Does anyone know about the Seven Millennium problems, if yes can any one explain to me the yang mills theory, navier stokes equation and the poincare conjucture in great detail:smile:

Yes get a book. Explain those is great detail to you? I swear this is some kind of joke lol.

Yes get a book. Explain those is great detail to you? I swear this is some kind of joke lol.

I swear you are some kind of a joke. He didn't say in detail, so it's a fair call.

Actually he did, so the second part of my post can die.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Actually he did, so the second part of my post can die.
But you are going to leave the insult?

I think he said it jokingly...

Yeah I did.
How about "my whole post can die".

Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
yangs mill theorem:

Given a paper mill that prints ying yang water-marked rice paper with a water wheel that has radius r, paddle size x by y, in a river whose flow is described by a differential equation of third order wrt position in the river, how many pieces of paper can it churn out an hour?

Curious3141
Homework Helper
yangs mill theorem:

Given a paper mill that prints ying yang water-marked rice paper with a water wheel that has radius r, paddle size x by y, in a river whose flow is described by a differential equation of third order wrt position in the river, how many pieces of paper can it churn out an hour?

None. The mill didn't comply with the city's Feng Shui code, so it was closed down. :biggrin:

Actually I have a slightly more serious question regarding the Yang Mills problem. What type of mathematician will most likely solve it? i.e. a pure mathematician or a mathematical physicist? If the former an analyst, topologist or an algebracist?

Well, who can say really, but it is a problem in mathematical physics...

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2020 Award
actually i have solved 5 of them, but the word length limit here prohibits me from posting the solutions. And since I care nothing for fame, I also decline to submit them for refereeing. I may include them in coded form in my next comic book.

Last edited:
actually i have solved 5 of them, but the word length limit here prohibits me from posting the solutions. And since I care nothing for fame, I also decline to submit them for refereeing. I may include them in coded form in my next comic book.

Have you considered donating the proofs to charity? There are mathematicians around the world starving for theorems, adopt a mathematician.

Chris Hillman
Science Advisor
actually i have solved 5 of them, but the word length limit here prohibits me from posting the solutions.

This reminds me of the ship that didn't sink with Hardy :wink:

Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
mathwonk, I looked through your comic book, and only three of those proofs are correct. In particular, you twice state the Miller-CoorsTheorem with incorrect hypothesis

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2020 Award
yes, i keep forgetting, is it less taste? or more filling?