The minimum cost of a power line

In summary, the minimum cost for constructing a power line from a town to a mine can be found by using implicit differentiation and setting up an equation in terms of the distance from the town to the point where the power line meets the road. The total cost will be the sum of the distances along the road and through the forest, with costs of $4500 per km and $7500 per km, respectively. By finding the minimum of this equation, the minimum cost of the power line can be determined.
Emethyst

Homework Statement

A power line is to be constructed from a town to a mine that is located near a straight road going to the town. The point on the road closest to the mine is 7.5km from the town and 3km from the mine. The cost of building along the road is 4500$ per km, and through the forest to the mine, 7500$ per km. Find the minimum cost of the power line.

Homework Equations

Implicit differentation

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea how to start this one. I started by drawing a right angle triangle, where the right angle is the point closest to the mine that lies on the road and the hypotenuse is the line that runs from the mine to the town. After that I an unsure how to go about this one. From the prices it seems to me that rates may be involved in this, but after trying that out by using Pythagorean's Theorem it didn't get me anywhere (though I was close to the correct answer). If anyone could help me out here it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Total cost = distance_road * 4500 + distance_forest * 7500
The best solution will go in a straight line to the road and then along the road to the town,
call the distance from the town that it meets the road = X

Now work out the distance from the mine to the road in terms of X.
ie the hypotonuse of a right triangle with sides 3km and (7.5km-X)

Then you have the above equation only in terms of X, and simply find the minimum.

1. What factors determine the minimum cost of a power line?

The minimum cost of a power line is determined by several factors, including the length of the line, the terrain it will be built on, the type and size of materials used, and any necessary permits or rights-of-way.

2. Can the minimum cost of a power line vary depending on location?

Yes, the minimum cost of a power line can vary significantly depending on the location. Factors such as land acquisition costs, labor costs, and environmental regulations can all impact the overall cost of the project.

3. Does the voltage of the power line affect its minimum cost?

Yes, the voltage of the power line can have a significant impact on its minimum cost. Higher voltage lines require stronger and more expensive materials, as well as specialized equipment and skilled labor for installation.

4. Are there any cost-saving measures that can be taken when building a power line?

Yes, there are several cost-saving measures that can be taken when building a power line. These include using existing infrastructure, such as utility poles or underground ducts, negotiating favorable contracts with suppliers, and optimizing the design and placement of the power line.

5. How is the minimum cost of a power line calculated?

The minimum cost of a power line is typically calculated by taking into account all the necessary materials, labor, and other costs associated with the project. This cost can vary depending on the specific needs and requirements of the project, as well as any unforeseen factors that may arise during construction.