Ask an Astronomer: Mars and the Moon on August 27

• Thread starter stevmg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moon
In summary, on August 27, Mars will appear adjacent to the Moon around 1-2 AM in a 75:1 ratio in terms of size. This may be related to the hoax email claiming that Mars will look as big as the moon. However, this is not true as Mars is currently 37 million miles away from Earth and was only closer to us in 2003, but still not as close as the moon. This misconception may have stemmed from a misunderstanding by a reporter.
stevmg
On August 27 we are supposed to see Mars adjacent to the Moon about 1 - 2 AM so it looks like this picture.

Doesn't make sense. Mars is 37 million miles away while the moon is 1/4 million miles away. That makes the subtended arcs in a 75:1 ratio Moon:Mars (because Mars is twice the diameter of the moon.)

Any comments from anyone?

Attachments

• twomoons.gif
    twomoons.gif
    4.3 KB · Views: 683
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Ugh, I can't believe this is coming back again. Mars isn't even anywhere near opposition right now - it is on the other side of the sun from us, some 200 million miles away.

About 7 years ago (August, 2003), Mars was closer than it usually gets - by a few percent - and it was probably due to some, some sloppy reporter misunderstanding an astronomer when told that Mars would look as big through an amatuer telescope as the Moon does to the naked eye.

http://www.snopes.com/science/astronomy/brightmars.asp

Muchas Gracias!

I thought I was right...

stevmg

Thank you for your question. It is true that Mars and the Moon will appear close to each other in the sky on August 27, but this is due to their positions in the sky as seen from Earth, not their actual physical proximity to each other. As you mentioned, Mars is much farther away from Earth than the Moon, but because of its orbit around the Sun, it will appear closer to the Moon in our sky on this particular date. This is known as a conjunction, where two celestial objects appear close to each other in the sky. This phenomenon is not uncommon and occurs regularly with other planets and the Moon. It is a great opportunity for stargazers to observe the planets in our solar system and appreciate the vast distances between them. I hope this helps to clarify any confusion. Happy stargazing!

What is the significance of August 27 for Mars and the Moon?

August 27 marks a special celestial event where Mars and the Moon will be in conjunction, meaning they will appear close together in the night sky.

Can I see this event with the naked eye?

Yes, this event will be visible to the naked eye from most places on Earth, as long as the sky is clear and there is little light pollution.

What time will this event occur?

The exact time will vary depending on your location, but the best time to view the conjunction will be around 9-10 PM local time.

Will Mars and the Moon actually be close to each other in space?

No, this conjunction is only an optical illusion. In reality, Mars is approximately 140 million miles away from Earth and the Moon is about 238,900 miles away.

Are there any special precautions I need to take to view this event?

No special precautions are needed. However, using a telescope or binoculars can enhance your viewing experience.