The most depressing movie ever

radou

Homework Helper
All of Lynch's movies are disturbing. I also hate them all - especially Lost Highway.
I only saw Blue Velvet and Wild At Heart, and they're masterpieces. Although some Lynch's movies are total crap, for example Mulholland Drive.

Well, movies that specially touched me were Forrest Gump, American Beauty and Bridges of Madison County.

There are lots of other ones which lured tears out of my eyes, but if someone asked, I'd mention these three immediately.

12 monkeys.

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Who is Nick Cave and what does he have to do with Wings of Desire? We're talking the German film, right?
Nick Cave is an Australian singer who led a band called "The Birthday Party." He settled in Berlin in the late 80 with a new band (then)called "The Bad Seeds," joined by german "musician" Blixa Bargeld, the former frontman for the band "Einsturzende Neubauten" (translates as "collapsing new buildings.")

The Bad Seeds are the band planying in that final bar scene when the angel finally meets with the woman. This is where my arm got shorter.

I just realized that his name sounds like "Nick Cage" who played the angel in the american "remake" of the movie. I have to stop, I've run out of quotation marks.

i'm gonna have to go with "the house of sand and fog"

I'll also add "Enough" to the list... how a movie this bad ever got the green light is so horribly depressing...

schindlers list, they should force everyone to watch this movie!

radou

Homework Helper
schindlers list, they should force everyone to watch this movie!
WW2 nazi themes are incredibly boring, but it's a matter of taste I guess.

Oh yes, and I'd like to add The Thin Red Line.

WW2 nazi themes are incredibly boring, but it's a matter of taste I guess.

Oh yes, and I'd like to add The Thin Red Line.
Glad you find the holocaust "boring" :surprised
Its actually a movie with a purpose, unlike most of the drivel that comes out of Hollywood these days.

The Thin Red Line is a good movie so you are forgiven..

Last edited:

radou

Homework Helper
Glad you find the holocaust "boring" :surprised
Its actually a movie with a purpose, unlike most of the drivel that comes out of Hollywood these days.
The holocaust itself isn't something that can be boring or not, so what you said doesn't make any sense, and I didn't say such a thing at all. :smile:

It's only my opinion that holocaust related movies are boring.

Although, I intend to watch "Der Untergang", it's supposed to be a really good movie.

The Thin Red Line is a good movie so you are forgiven..
Am I? Aww, how nice of you.. :biggrin:

The holocaust itself isn't something that can be boring or not, so what you said doesn't make any sense, and I didn't say such a thing at all.
No that doesnt make sense. The holocaust is an event, which could be deemed to be a boring (not interesting) event. You didnt say it, but pointing towards something and going "boring", is 9/10 the law so to speak, perhaps I misunderstood you.
It's only my opinion that holocaust related movies are boring.
History can also be boring, but this thread is about depressing films. What happened to the characters in the Schindlers list (based on true events) Is very depressing. So your opinion of the film about this historical event is rather crude. It would probably be better if you were to say, you find the way the holocaust was depicted in that particular movie boring, but not the gender and thus indirectly the event, because that my friend wouldnt be a "clever" thing to say.

Anyway I believe everyone should see that film once, so as to understand what these people went through, and try to stop this sort of thing happening again.

I cant beleive I envoked goodwin in a thread about films!!!!!:tongue2:

Last edited:
I hope you've seen it. I too find WW2/holocaust movies to be boring, and usually cliche or needlessly melodramatic (as if what was happening wasn't dramatic enough!). I don't like war movies in general actually. But schindler's list is one of the few exceptions, if you haven't seen it you might find it to be an exception too... Chaplin's dictator is also great.

I also tend to find sports movies horrendously boring, the only exception being cinderella man, which would also fit in this list of depressing movies... so few people have seen it and it's just GREAT.

So your opinion of the film about this historical event is rather crude. It would probably be better if you were to say, you find the way the holocaust was depicted in that particular movie boring, but not the gender and thus indirectly the event, because that my friend wouldnt be a "clever" thing to say.

O, come on, give the guy a break, you can't be that picky with your words... I think we all know what he meant :rofl: .

Last edited:

radou

Homework Helper
So your opinion of the film about this historical event is rather crude. It would probably be better if you were to say, you find the way the holocaust was depicted in that particular movie boring,
I'm afraid I can't do that, since I haven't seen the movie. :smile:

but not the gender and thus indirectly the event, because that my friend wouldnt be a "clever" thing to say.
Indirectly the event? Again, I disagree.

My opinion about the holocaust is the same as the opinion of every sane and normal person, if that's what's bothering you. :rolleyes:

So, I only find holocaust related movies boring, that's all. Perhaps because I've seen a lot of them.

I'm afraid I can't do that, since I haven't seen the movie.
Ok then you are an enigma, first you quote me saying a movie I said is depressing is part of a gender you think is boring, then you go to add another war type movie.. then you say you havent actually seen the film I am talking about, but you have seen lots of holocaust related movies, there arent even that many, 2 I can think of....

My opinion about the holocaust is the same as the opinion of every sane and normal person, if that's what's bothering you.
Nah thats not bothering me...Its your opinion not mine :smile:

Great stuff!

cristo

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
C'mon guys, let's not argue about this! (even though radou's post explicitly says that he finds WW2 nazi themed films boring-- i dont see how that has been taken to mean that he is completely uninterested by the event of the holocaust?!)

Anyway, I happen to like Schindler's list. I remember we had to watch it in our weekly compulsary religious and cultural studies lesson (or whatever the class was called) at school. That film, coupled with a forgetful teacher who never remembered where we upto in the film each lesson saved me from about 6 weeks of work!

radou

Homework Helper
Ok then you are an enigma, first you quote me saying a movie I said is depressing is part of a gender you think is boring, then you go to add another war type movie..
I didn't say WW2 films are boring. I was specific about a certain type of WW2 film, that's all. End of discussion? :smile:

The most depressing movie for me was " Starwars ep 3 " that is the ONLY movie I have ever had to sit through, after the 1st 10 mins, I was BEGGING for it to end................
Talking about begging for a movie to end.:yuck:

http://www.nick.com/all_nick/movies/spongebob/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
You should watch The Fountain, also an Aronofsky film. It's both strange and depressing -- but brilliant.

Das Boot and Amadeus are also very depressing movies.

really good movies

I didn't say WW2 films are boring. I was specific about a certain type of WW2 film, that's all. End of discussion? :smile:
Yup :approve:

sas3

Gold Member
Pink Floyd the Wall movie was very depressing, lots of pain and suffering.

I like the music though.

I also ALWAYS cry at this very specific line of "magnolia".... I know it's coming when he's about to say and I can't help it... horrible

Which line of magnolia?

um... well it's this thing the Donnie Smith character says to the police officer right after the frogs fall, it's such a horrible sad statement to make...

I was watching the movie with my friends and I was telling myself "don't get choked up, don't get choked up"— but I had to leave the room saying I had to pee because I knew I would start crying with that line; gets me every time.. it's embarrassing really.

If you watch that scene there's no mistaking what line I'm talking about... when I saw that movie for the first time I was in a relatable situation and every time he says that it puts me back in that place... not to mention it's a great (ly depressing) line to begin with. ... I tend to get emo with movies anyway, but I can usually hold it.

Last edited:

-Job-

Science Advisor
The disturbing award in my opinion goes to Eraserhead. But in a way it's really well done, it makes me feel like i just had a bad dream.

Vincent_Rayne

Has got to be Requiem for a Dream. Every time I watch this movie it makes me wanna die.
Does it really make you want to die i like to watch tehse movies a really enjoy them the ones that hold a true depressing powerful message but they do not make me want to die they make me feel empty as if somthing is missing that always has been and there's no point in life without this thing but really you'll never find it because were here just to be here there is nothign special about anything living example if there was nothing there would be nothing to worry about were here so what changes theres still nothign to worry about i get that kind of a feeling from those movies but i do really enjoy them and this feeling.

million dollar baby was very depressing to me.