1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The most money making jobs in the world

1. Oct 24, 2007 #1
    i dont know what i should study at university. im looking for a filed that will have a future and you can find a job easier by having a degree in that subject. something that will be money making. and when you want to immegrate to a foreign conuntry you'll have a better chance to get a visa and then get citizenship in a foreign country. i have no talnet for having a career in cinema and hollywood by the way. so forget about that one.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2007 #2
    Plz Move It To Academic And Career Guide Forum!

4. Oct 24, 2007 #3

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well you could try this idea....

Write an operating system that doesn't really work and get everybody to buy it.

Then improve it so making the first o.s. obsolete so everybody has to buy the new software.

Eventually when you produce one that really does work, and you are afraid nobody will buy any replacements, then make that obsolete and replace it with something twice as complicated and half as reliable - so the new o.s. will need constant upgrades (at a cost of course).

Oh sorry, that idea has already been tried...

Garth

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  5. Oct 24, 2007 #4
    Become an actuary..

6. Oct 24, 2007 #5
    lol do it.

I can't imagine going to work everyday hating my job, just doing it because of the money. When I wake up I'm excited to go to work, and then I think to myself, I get paid for this? Awesome.

I think its much more rewarding.

7. Oct 24, 2007 #6
    become a CEO.

8. Oct 24, 2007 #7

TMM

Professional lottery winner.

Disclaimer: some luck req'd.

9. Oct 24, 2007 #8
    What does one need to study to become an actuary? And what precisely is involved in this career choice?

10. Oct 24, 2007 #9
    This is such a bad question...I highly advise a person to not pursue a field based on salary.

11. Oct 24, 2007 #10
    Just because someone asks for information, doesn't mean they will base their decision solely on which career choice has the highest income. Yet when making career choices, you should definitely be considering what sort of financial situation you will be comfortable with later in life.

12. Oct 24, 2007 #11

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

cheating the american public and becoming president with a minority of the votes and skewing billions of tax dollars to ones friends' companies seems lucrative, at least recently, all the while pretending to be religious. but you have to expect eventually to burn in hell.

13. Oct 25, 2007 #12
    Ron Paul 08

You can always play the lottery

14. Oct 25, 2007 #13

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is possible to make significant salaries in almost any profession. Some professions take a much greater amount of work to get there, and some even involve quite a lot of luck.

What you should do is first identify what you'd like to do, then figure out how to make that profession pay you well.

- Warren

15. Oct 25, 2007 #14
    Brain Surgeon.

500 000 a year.

16. Oct 25, 2007 #15
    neodevin i want to thank you because you seem to be the onlp person here who's understood me very well.people i don't have lots of spare time just like u to sit here and read ur jokes and funny theories.so plz keep ur cuteness and efforts to be funny for other topics. i do need money.
    i studied what i was intersted in once but i got to hate it because i cant get a job by that so now im looking to study something different. chroot you're right we can make money in any profession but you have to be very brilliant to get where i described in my first post . getting visa for another country, get a job so easily... i heard that IT and mba have a promising future right? any new ideas?

what's ceo by the way?

17. Oct 25, 2007 #16

danago

Gold Member

Quoted from wikipedia:

18. Oct 25, 2007 #17
    well to be honest - I'd say businessmen (and women) make the most - and that would be irrelevant to their degree.

Chartered accountants, politicians, rock musicians, celebrities, stock brokers etc.
    Though i'd never wish to be any of them ... well except for being a rock musician :p

19. Oct 25, 2007 #18

radou

Homework Helper

It all depends. Sure there are jobs which are more likely to bring you a reasonable income, but in the end, it all depends on what type of person you are. Today it seems that it's important to know how to sell things and ideas in general. For example, you can be creative and original, and "create something new", but if you don't know how to actually sell it (i.e. do the marketing), you'll see no money.

20. Oct 25, 2007 #19

J77

Aside from striking it lucky, either through getting everyone to buy your product or winning the lottery...

I think your question was about what degree to persue.

1. You can't do a degree inbecoming a CEO.
    2. The only degrees I can think of which truly lead towards a specific career are engineering; specifically civil engineering.

The other obvious alternative is to do any degree, brim with confidence, get on a graduate program in a bank, brim with confidence, make money...

Of course, this depends on what country you live in.

As far as immigrating goes... again, I don't think a specific degree helps. Maybe get a trade instead; eg. Australia value carpenters above techaers when it comes to getting in (iirc).

21. Oct 25, 2007 #20
    I would like to emphasize this bit here. With most of the trades there are always many jobs available. Countries such as New Zealand also have skills shortage lists -- if you have the right skills you generally have a much easier time getting into the country. It seems that people often forget about the trades, but they can be quite lucrative, as well as enjoyable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?