The Mystery: Solving an Atomic Astrophysics Problem

• Thread starter joekoviously
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Astrophysics
In summary, the conversation was about a problem in astrophysics where the question was asking for the atomic mass number of a substance given only its temperature and velocity. The individual was having trouble finding an equation to relate the two and had derived the line of sight velocity dispersion equation, but did not think it applied. The individual was seeking help or insight on the matter.
joekoviously
Hello,
I am currently having a problem on a question in astrophysics. It is asking to find the atomic mass number of a substance given only the temperature and velocity of the substance. I cannot seem to come up with an equation relating them together.

The closest I have come is deriving the line of sight velocity dispersion which I don't think applies. That equation I came up with is:

(simga) = (kT/(mu)(mass proton))^(1/2)

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance, Joe.

Physics news on Phys.org
which velocity did it give you? there's rms, most probable, or mean?

Mean translational velocity

Related to The Mystery: Solving an Atomic Astrophysics Problem

1. What is atomic astrophysics?

Atomic astrophysics is the study of the behavior and properties of atoms and their interactions in astrophysical environments, such as stars, galaxies, and interstellar space. It combines principles from physics, chemistry, and astronomy to understand the atomic processes that occur in these cosmic environments.

2. How does atomic astrophysics contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Atomic astrophysics helps us understand how atoms and their interactions shape the physical and chemical properties of celestial objects, such as stars and galaxies. It also provides insight into the formation and evolution of the universe, as well as how elements are created and distributed throughout the cosmos.

3. What are some common research topics in atomic astrophysics?

Some common research topics in atomic astrophysics include the study of atomic spectra, ionization and recombination processes, atomic collisions, and the formation and destruction of molecules in space. Other areas of interest include the influence of magnetic fields on atomic processes and the role of atoms in the evolution of galaxies and the interstellar medium.

4. How do scientists study atomic astrophysics?

Scientists study atomic astrophysics through a combination of theoretical modeling and observational data. They use computer simulations and mathematical equations to predict the behavior of atoms in different astrophysical environments, and they also analyze data from telescopes and other astronomical instruments to observe the properties of atoms in space.

5. What are some practical applications of atomic astrophysics?

Atomic astrophysics has many practical applications, including helping us understand the properties of materials and their behavior under extreme conditions, such as high temperatures and pressures. It also has implications for technologies such as nuclear power and fusion energy, as well as for the development of new materials and technologies for space exploration.