Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The names of several equations

1. Apr 19, 2016 #1
    i have this 4 equations but dont know there names. I found them in a paper but without any information.
    the equations are

1--##R.P=\frac{8}{\Theta}##

2--##D=f\sqrt{8(1-\frac{m\lambda}{2nd})}##

3--##V=\frac{2R}{1+R^{2}}##

4--##I_{sp}=\frac{8}{\pi^{2}}I_o##

i would be grateful is someone can tell me their names ( if you remember them )

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2016 #2
    Do you think that every equation have a name?
    Very few do and the name is not really relevant for the understanding.
    It does not matter what you call them. You should try to understand what they mean.

4. Apr 19, 2016 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Well it would help a lot if we could see the paper. Is it available via an on-line link? Is it copyrighted?

And as already said, they may not have names per se.

5. Apr 20, 2016 #4
    yes you are right but i thought every equation should have a name. Look like i was wrong.
    anyway these equation are from a paper about optics.
    i wanted there names so i can derive them and use them in a better way if i know where they come from. Yes i will get them in the next weeks from the prof. but i thought it would be a good idea to look them from now and be prepared for them.
    i tried to write these equations in google but with no results.

6. Apr 20, 2016 #5
    It's not the name that will help you to derive them. The first thing to know is the significance of each symbol in the equation.
    Any serious paper or book will give the meaning of the symbols right after the first time they show up. Unless there is a table with all the symbols at the end or beginning (for books).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted