The names of several equations

• Thread starter Pual Black
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses four equations found in a paper on optics. The equations have no names and the speaker is unsure if every equation should have a name. They express a desire to understand the significance of each symbol in the equations. The paper may be obtained from the professor in the future, but the speaker wants to be prepared and has attempted to search for the equations online with no success.
Pual Black
i have this 4 equations but don't know there names. I found them in a paper but without any information.
the equations are

1--##R.P=\frac{8}{\Theta}##

2--##D=f\sqrt{8(1-\frac{m\lambda}{2nd})}##

3--##V=\frac{2R}{1+R^{2}}##

4--##I_{sp}=\frac{8}{\pi^{2}}I_o##

i would be grateful is someone can tell me their names ( if you remember them )

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you think that every equation have a name?
Very few do and the name is not really relevant for the understanding.
It does not matter what you call them. You should try to understand what they mean.

Pual Black said:
i have this 4 equations but don't know there names. I found them in a paper but without any information.
the equations are

1--##R.P=\frac{8}{\Theta}##

2--##D=f\sqrt{8(1-\frac{m\lambda}{2nd})}##

3--##V=\frac{2R}{1+R^{2}}##

4--##I_{sp}=\frac{8}{\pi^{2}}I_o##

i would be grateful is someone can tell me their names ( if you remember them )
Well it would help a lot if we could see the paper. Is it available via an on-line link? Is it copyrighted?

And as already said, they may not have names per se.

yes you are right but i thought every equation should have a name. Look like i was wrong.
anyway these equation are from a paper about optics.
i wanted there names so i can derive them and use them in a better way if i know where they come from. Yes i will get them in the next weeks from the prof. but i thought it would be a good idea to look them from now and be prepared for them.
i tried to write these equations in google but with no results.

It's not the name that will help you to derive them. The first thing to know is the significance of each symbol in the equation.
Any serious paper or book will give the meaning of the symbols right after the first time they show up. Unless there is a table with all the symbols at the end or beginning (for books).

What are the most commonly used equations in science?

The most commonly used equations in science include the Pythagorean theorem, Newton's second law of motion, Einstein's mass-energy equivalence equation, and the ideal gas law.

What is the difference between an equation and a formula?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two or more variables, while a formula is a specific type of equation that provides a step-by-step guide for solving a problem.

How do scientists come up with equations?

Scientists use a combination of observation, experimentation, and mathematical reasoning to come up with equations that accurately describe natural phenomena.

Why are equations important in science?

Equations are important in science because they allow us to understand and predict how different variables in the natural world interact with each other. They also provide a way to quantify and measure these interactions.

Can equations be modified or changed?

Yes, equations can be modified or changed to better fit new data or to account for new variables. This is a fundamental aspect of the scientific process, as our understanding of the natural world is constantly evolving and improving.