Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The new words thread

1. Apr 19, 2013 #1
    This thread has two objectives, to enrich the English language wit a lot of new words and "generate traffic" for PF (see this thread.)

I start:

Decaninetion (noun) To make an area free of dogs. I'm decanineted: my dog has died.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2013 #2

Danger

Gold Member

You had already started in your introduction. Although 'wit' is an English word, I've never seen it used in that context before. :tongue:

I would like to borrow from your language to enrich ours; stopptoofrumfloppen. (That's how you say "bra" in Dutch, right?)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  4. Apr 19, 2013 #3
    Do they have to be new words, as in words that have been recently created? Or 'new' as in new to most people who hear them?

5. Apr 19, 2013 #4

Danger

Gold Member

I took it to mean that we should make them up.

6. Apr 19, 2013 #5
    Almost, that would be 'bustehouder', but close. Nicely done

The idea is that you google your new word first to find no result and then just create it. Something like:

A Prohypafa (noun) is a procedural hyperlinked patch to facilitate disk fragmentation whilst reflecting boolean broadband servicing. And it can bark too.

7. Apr 19, 2013 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I have never ever heard somebody say "bustehouder"... Maybe it's a netherlands thing...

8. Apr 19, 2013 #7
    Google is your friend: Bustehouder

Busterholder (noun) a police officer who manages to capture a crook, whilst in the act of crime.

9. Apr 19, 2013 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Of course I know the word. I'm just saying I've never heard anybody say bustehouder when they refer to a bra. Even wikipedia takes the abbreviation instead of the full word :biggrin:

10. Apr 19, 2013 #9
    Did you try a youtube search with the word?

Bustguard or Bustguardian (noun) A watchman who has to make sure that everybody gets drunk?

11. Apr 19, 2013 #10
    Since you enjoy that so much, I refrained from correcting the typo, maybe it attracks typo-squatters

Come on all, we can do better: see how easy it is:

bust-typology: the refutation of the Briggs Meyers type indicators.

12. Apr 19, 2013 #11

Danger

Gold Member

Thanks. Doing so would have made my response look pretty stupid.
    I'm going to be a limited participant in this, because the idea of using a search engine takes all of the fun out of it for me. Going purely by the sound of a word or linguistic associations is what gets my amusement factor percolating. I'll certainly continue to hang out here, but I'm just going to post things as they occur to me and you can Google them yourselves if you want to.
    It's a good idea for a thread.

13. Apr 19, 2013 #12
    Thanks, Danger

Fosethimocleco : Forget (the) search engine: think monitor cleaning from coffee.

14. Apr 19, 2013 #13

Danger

Gold Member

:rofl:

Blastironed.*

*Damned straight...

15. Apr 20, 2013 #14
    :approve: That's the idea. Anyway

Croldsourcing is the conduct of actively encouraging old experienced people to diagnose your problems and discuss them in an open exchange of information known as glastnost. pro deo of course. Advisory agencies are mucho expensive.

Hey, the thread isn't always funny.

16. Apr 20, 2013 #15
    The last new word that made the post show up in google was "stopptoofrumfloppen" None of the later posts have shown up for me yet.

Maybe that this is the result of the move?

17. Apr 20, 2013 #16

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Some Google script could have noticed that this page generates a lot of words not present anywhere else.

Googlexclusion is the effect that google did not include the latest new words here in their search engine any more.

18. Apr 20, 2013 #17
    gah! I had it when we get Googlexclused!

19. Apr 20, 2013 #18

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Is that a modification of Googlexcluded? :tongue2:

20. Apr 21, 2013 #19
    The words are showing up now. Maybe there are several types of crawlers, the newsseekers which are fast but go only skin deep and the deep spiders who go deeper but take a lot more time.

Pandaphobia the fear to be hit by google panda changes.

21. Apr 27, 2013 #20
    Notice that this thread was active from 19-21 April

Here is the Alexa score:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22026080/Alexa-21-apr.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook