What's Out There? The Emotions of Stargazing

In summary: Not at all. There's mystery out there. That's exciting. It would be depressing if all curiosities were satisfied, if there were nothing left to discover.Time to get yourself a telescope and wonder on.
1MileCrash
When I look into space, I can't make it out, but I am looking at so much. It depresses me to that I may never know what's out there, that all of the questions I have may never be answered.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Physics news on Phys.org
1MileCrash said:
When I look into space, I can't make it out, but I am looking at so much. It depresses me to that I may never know what's out there, that all of the questions I have may never be answered.

Not at all. There's mystery out there. That's exciting. It would be depressing if all curiosities were satisfied, if there were nothing left to discover.

Time to get yourself a telescope and wonder on.

I've been especially lucky lately.. I wander out the back yard at about 2am to water a dead patch of grass and have had cloudless skies to look up at and wonder, for the last several nights.

I need a bigger telescope

Cheer up. At least you are not in the situation of Alexander the Great who wept because there were no more worlds to conquer.

i used to hitchhike a lot when i was a kid. i spent a lot of time under those starry skies being depressed about other things. it helps to just start talking. demand answers from the cosmos at large. it sounds goofy but i bet you'll feel better.

The only thing that depresses me is that I don't think I'll live to see human contact with intelligent aliens.

leroy, how do you know you haven't already?

Doesn't brane theory posit a universe parallel to us and separated by less than an inch from us?

1MileCrash said:

I understand how you feel, here's something to cheer you up :biggrin:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=464261

1MileCrash said:

I feel the opposite way. It makes me feel all giddy and excited just like a little schoolgirl :blushing:

Geezer said:
I feel the opposite way. It makes me feel all giddy and excited just like a little schoolgirl :blushing:

I get excited at things like this, but I wouldn't say Giddy like a schoolgirl lol.
Just got myself a Meade 10 inch telescope and Deep Sky II imager. Been fooling around with it for about a week or two whenever the skies are clear. Hoping to get better and take some nice pictures and such. So awesome!

1MileCrash said:

The feelings I get are really complicated mixture...I guess it's close to gratitude and joy, somehow. I feel lucky and happy to be alive.

Have a look at this and feel better

Last edited by a moderator:
Jimmy Snyder said:
Cheer up. At least you are not in the situation of Alexander the Great who wept because there were no more worlds to conquer.

<3

I love looking at the night sky, and feeling small, and basking in the gloriousness of it all. It's humbling. :)

What causes the night sky to depress me?

The feeling of depression when looking at the night sky can be caused by a variety of factors. For some, it may be a sense of insignificance or loneliness when confronted with the vastness of the universe. For others, it may be a fear of the unknown or a reminder of their own mortality.

Is it normal to feel depressed when looking at the night sky?

Yes, it is normal to feel a range of emotions when looking at the night sky. The vastness and beauty of the universe can evoke feelings of awe, wonder, and even melancholy. It is important to acknowledge and process these emotions in a healthy way.

Can stargazing help with depression?

Yes, stargazing and connecting with the night sky can have a positive impact on mental health. It can provide a sense of perspective and help individuals feel more connected to something larger than themselves. It can also be a peaceful and calming activity, promoting relaxation and reducing stress.

Are there any scientific studies on the effects of the night sky on mental health?

Yes, there have been several studies on the psychological effects of stargazing and the night sky. These studies have shown that stargazing can have a positive impact on mental health, including reducing symptoms of depression and anxiety.

What are some coping mechanisms for dealing with depression triggered by the night sky?

Coping mechanisms for dealing with depression triggered by the night sky may vary for each individual, but some suggestions include finding a supportive community, practicing mindfulness and self-care, and seeking professional help if needed. It may also be helpful to focus on the beauty and wonder of the night sky, and to remind oneself of the importance of self-love and self-acceptance.