What is the trick to solving the odd number camel puzzle?

• Thread starter musicgold
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Puzzle
In summary, the puzzle involves finding the LCM of the denominators of fractions and creating various scenarios. Some questions about the puzzle include the formal name for the solution method, alternative ways to solve the problem, and whether it can be framed in algebraic equations. The conversation also touches on topics such as taxes, preventing a family feud, and using rounding to reach a solution. Ultimately, the puzzle leads to the idea of using this method to get rid of the national debt.
musicgold
Homework Statement
I came across the puzzle shown below. I know how to solve it and the general structure behind it. But I wish to know how to express it algebraically.
Relevant Equations
A man leaves 19 camels in his will. He orders that 1/2 the camels to be given to his son, 1/4 to his daughter and 1/5 to the servant who took care of him. How should they distribute the camels?

A wise man adds his own camel to make the total 20. He gives 10 to the son, 5 to the daughter and 4 to the servant and take his own camel back. So the wise man enables the distribution of the remaining 1/5 th camel without cutting it.
I know that the puzzle is related to the LCM of the denominators of the fractions. I could create a few of my own puzzles too (for example, 23 camels to be divided in 1/2, 1/3, 1/8th). But I have some more questions about this puzzle.

1. What is the formal name for this solution method?

2. How would one go about this problem, if they did not have the help of the one camel of the wise man?

3. Is there a way to frame this situation in algebraic equations?

Likes Charles Link
Physics news on Phys.org
What is ##\frac 1 2 + \frac 1 4 + \frac 1 5##?

And what if the old man would have left 1/20 of his estate to his dear wife ? Huh !

BvU said:
And what if the old man would have left 1/20 of his estate to his dear wife ? Huh !

Taxes.

• Haha
Likes phinds and BvU
I'm afraid that the true name of the "solution" is "sloppy arithmetic". One half of 20 is not one half of 19, etc.

Likes Vanadium 50
FactChecker said:
I'm afraid that the true name of the "solution" is "sloppy arithmetic". One half of 20 is not one half of 19, etc.
How would you have prevented a family feud?

• Haha
Likes FactChecker
x = # camels =19
y = # wise man camels

a = # son’s camels = (x+y)/2
b = # daughter’s camels = (x+y)/4
c = # servant’s camels = (x+y)/5

a+b+c=x
19(x+y)/20 = x
y=x/19 = 1

Without the wise man, normal rounding gets you to the same answer.
9.5 rounds to 10
4.75 rounds to 5
3.8 rounds to 4

I am assuming that only whole camels are dispersed and that all of them, not 95%, are dispersed

Last edited:
Likes musicgold
caz said:
Without the wise man, normal rounding gets you to the same answer.
9.5 rounds to 10
4.75 rounds to 5
3.8 rounds to 4
So everybody is happy: they all get more than foreseen !
Now let's get rid of the national debt in the same way ! :cool:

Likes Frabjous

What is "The odd number camel puzzle"?

The odd number camel puzzle is a mathematical problem that involves a group of camels and a specific set of rules for moving them from one location to another.

How does the puzzle work?

The puzzle starts with a group of camels standing in a line, and the goal is to move them to a new location while following a set of rules. Each camel has a specific number assigned to it, and only odd numbers can move to the left and even numbers can move to the right.

What is the solution to the puzzle?

The solution to the puzzle is to move the camels in the following order: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, etc. until all the camels have reached the new location. This ensures that the camels with odd numbers move to the left and the camels with even numbers move to the right, following the rules of the puzzle.

Are there any variations of the puzzle?

Yes, there are variations of the puzzle that involve different numbers of camels or different rules for moving them. Some variations also have the camels moving in a circular pattern instead of a straight line.

What is the significance of "The odd number camel puzzle"?

The odd number camel puzzle is a popular mathematical problem that helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also has applications in computer science and programming, as it involves logical thinking and algorithmic solutions.