VreemdeGozer Messages 12 Reaction score 0 Thread starter Jul 20, 2011 #1 I was just wondering, what would happen when a W+ boson and a W- boson collide?
Drakkith Mentor Messages 23,212 Reaction score 7,701 Jul 20, 2011 #2 Since they are antiparticles of each other they would annihilate.
robert2734 Messages 77 Reaction score 0 Jul 20, 2011 #3 I thought they form a Z particle. Since the W are themselves affected of the weak force.
Drakkith Mentor Messages 23,212 Reaction score 7,701 Jul 20, 2011 #4 To the best of my knowledge they would annihilate each other. However, I have not looked into details, so it might be that the W and Z bosons are different somehow. I have simply never seen anything that said that.
To the best of my knowledge they would annihilate each other. However, I have not looked into details, so it might be that the W and Z bosons are different somehow. I have simply never seen anything that said that.
Hepth Science Advisor Gold Member Messages 458 Reaction score 40 Jul 20, 2011 #5 Take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroweak_interaction The lagrangian terms with a W+ W- and something else are the simplest vertices involving that collision. I see W+ W- >>>> A Z WW AA ZZ AZ Higgs terms, etc Where A = photon, Z = Z boson and WW = another W+ W- pair.
Take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroweak_interaction The lagrangian terms with a W+ W- and something else are the simplest vertices involving that collision. I see W+ W- >>>> A Z WW AA ZZ AZ Higgs terms, etc Where A = photon, Z = Z boson and WW = another W+ W- pair.