The Outcome of W+ and W- Boson Collision

In summary, the outcome of W+ and W- boson collision results in the production of high energy particles such as quarks, leptons, and neutrinos. These particles are crucial in understanding the fundamental forces and building blocks of the universe. The collision also confirms the existence and properties of the W boson, providing evidence for the validity of the Standard Model of particle physics. Additionally, the energy released from the collision can be used to create other particles and study their behavior, leading to further advancements in our understanding of the cosmos.
VreemdeGozer
I was just wondering, what would happen when a W+ boson and a W- boson collide?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since they are antiparticles of each other they would annihilate.

I thought they form a Z particle. Since the W are themselves affected of the weak force.

To the best of my knowledge they would annihilate each other. However, I have not looked into details, so it might be that the W and Z bosons are different somehow. I have simply never seen anything that said that.

Take a look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroweak_interaction

The lagrangian terms with a W+ W- and something else are the simplest vertices involving that collision.

I see W+ W- >>>>
A
Z
WW
AA ZZ AZ
Higgs terms, etc

Where A = photon, Z = Z boson and WW = another W+ W- pair.

Related to The Outcome of W+ and W- Boson Collision

1. What is the outcome of a collision between a W+ and W- boson?

The outcome of a collision between a W+ and W- boson is the production of two high-energy photons or the creation of a Z boson and an accompanying high-energy photon. This process is known as annihilation.

2. How do W+ and W- bosons differ from each other?

W+ and W- bosons are both elementary particles that carry the weak nuclear force. The main difference between them is their electric charge: W+ has a positive charge while W- has a negative charge. They also have different masses, with W+ being slightly heavier than W-.

3. What are the implications of a W+ and W- boson collision in terms of particle physics?

A W+ and W- boson collision allows for the study of the weak nuclear force and its interactions with other particles. This helps us understand the fundamental building blocks of the universe and how they interact with each other.

4. Can W+ and W- boson collisions be observed in experiments?

Yes, W+ and W- boson collisions can be observed in high-energy particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. By colliding protons at high speeds, scientists can recreate the conditions that existed just after the Big Bang and study the behavior of particles, including W+ and W- bosons.

5. What is the significance of the outcome of a W+ and W- boson collision?

The outcome of a W+ and W- boson collision provides valuable information about the nature of the weak nuclear force and helps us better understand the fundamental laws of physics. It also allows for the discovery of new particles and the testing of theories, such as the Standard Model of particle physics.