The PF Username Game - Part III

In summary: MIH9. strange lover loses all resistance...and inductance = rewebster [resistance -> lost -> inductance] - solved by Evo10. She's him? But that's completely backwards! = wolram [hers -> him -> but -> completely backwards] - solved by MIHIn summary, the new members are being introduced to earlier rounds of the game. The first few clues are not too difficult, but the later ones get more difficult.
Gokul43201 said:
25. the Stooge of the Commandments

Howard Heston.

Physics news on Phys.org
George Jones said:
Howard Heston.
Good! That completes 25.

25. the Stooge of the Commandments leads the Greek sharpdull = Moe Darklight

Moe Howard, born Moses Horwitz, was one of the Three Stooges.

Darklight is something of an oxymoron, and the word 'oxymoron' is itself something of an oxymoron, being derived from the Greek words for sharp (oxy) and dull (moros).

Last edited:
rewebster said:
I took the 'x' as the two separate words 'cross' to give the answer---was there something about 'sad'?
About 'sad'? No, there isn't. For 'X', read the pointers in the OP.

because its a function and not a derivative?

----what about third answer in post 68?

rewebster said:
because its a function and not a derivative?
An integral is the opposite of a derivative, so that's the first route to the answer. The second route involves 'grail'. What do you have left when you take 'grail' out of 'integral'? Now look at the 'X' again.

----what about third answer in post 68?
Correct answer once again. And the method is close but not exactly right. This one is pretty tricky, so expect something a little different from the other 5 in that set.

:smile:nte=nutty? ten

do you want more for 29?

28 zapperz

Last edited:
rewebster said:
:smile:nte=nutty? ten
Good. That completes 26.

do you want more for 29?
Yes, I do. seer+gore+jog is not an anagram of the answer. Take another look at it.

28 zapperz
Nice work! I was looking for Zapper. Explanations?

I did this on the earlier versions of the game but not on this one. But, I'm going to now...

rewebster: You get a half day time-out (hold any thoughts till 1pm ET tomorrow). I'd like folks from other time zones to also get a chance at these.

Gokul43201 said:
Good. That completes 26.

Yes, I do. seer+gore+jog is not an anagram of the answer. Take another look at it.

Nice work! I was looking for Zapper. Explanations?

Seen Gore Jog

and

Gone Seer Jog (?) --the natural laws ? Ogj/goj/gjo?

---------------
killing machine---fly zapper-----and ---traded in the 'a' on my jeans cod piece opening

Gokul43201 said:
rewebster: You get a half day time-out (hold any thoughts till 1pm ET tomorrow). I'd like folks from other time zones to also get a chance at these.

no problem

Last edited:
rewebster said:
Seen Gore Jog

and

Gone Seer Jog (?) --the natural laws ? Ogj/goj/gjo?
The top bit is good - seen gore jog = george jones; the bottom one isn't what I want.

For an additional hint on this, the first part of the clue does not lead to a spelling of the name, but another description of the same person.

killing machine---fly zapper-----and ---traded in the 'a' on my jeans cod piece opening
Nice!

Time for an update on the last 10 clues:

21. how a Roman sentry may begin to question a lurker underscores the heart of its translation by Shakespeare
= Q_Goest (partial by Chi Meson)
[Q begins quo vadis and 'underscores' is for the "_" that follows the Q; the heart of the translation still needs work]

22. carelessly cram a man, for a Sec. - unsolved

23. bottoms of Nimes must count - unsolved

24. [tex]ji\sqrt{2\pi} \delta^{(1)} (k)[/tex] - unsolved
(hint: I believe the factor of [itex]\sqrt{2\pi}[/itex] is there purely from a particular choice of convention)

25. the Stooge of the Commandments leads the Greek sharpdull = Moe Darklight (partial by turbo, george with the finish)
[Moe Howard, born Moses Horwitz, was one of the Three Stooges;
Darklight is something of an oxymoron, and the word 'oxymoron' is itself something of an oxymoron, being derived from the Greek words for sharp (oxy) and dull (moros). ]

26. Not derived from terrible X gradalis? = integral (solved by rewebster)
[1. not derived -> integrated
2. X = ten, gradalis = grail (Latin), ten+grail (jumble) -> integral]

27. Two-faced gatekeeper is mostly an @$$#0!3 = Janus (rewebster, shortly followed by turbo)
[1. Janus = Roman God with a double-sided head, guardian of gates and doors
2. Janus is mostly anus]

28. Fly trades one for a different fly's killing machine. = Zapper (rewebster)
[1. fly = zipper, "trades one for a" -> remove I, add A, zipper - i + a = zapper
2. "different fly" refers to the bug, bug "killing machine" -> bug zapper]

29. Old Indian teacher of natural laws has seen Gore jog clumsily! = George Jones (partial by rewebster)
[1. unsolved - see hint in post #80
2. seen gore jog = george jones (anagram)]

30. Mr. anser, in trouble. = Danger (partial by Chi Meson)
[1. unsolved
2. in trouble -> danger]

Last edited:
These are really hard. My problem is that I don't know everyones name on the forum good enough. Is there a specific name for this kind of puzzle. I wouldn't mind finding some online of actors, musicians, or people I might know.

bassplayer142 said:
These are really hard. My problem is that I don't know everyones name on the forum good enough. Is there a specific name for this kind of puzzle. I wouldn't mind finding some online of actors, musicians, or people I might know.
I've tried to restrict answers to members that are pretty active and hence, likely known by most participants. There isn't really a name for this type of game, but the style of cluing is modeled along the lines of cryptic crosswords that I grew up with. Many major newspapers carry a daily cryptic crossword. I don't know any that do only names of people though - that would be pretty hard to organize into a crossword.

Dang, little too late in spotting this thread. From the level of puzzles, I'd say this one is the toughest compared to games I and II.

23. Math Jeans - "bottoms of Nimes" ->denims -> Jeans and "must count" -> Math
30. 1) Not sure, but has it got anything to do with geese (genus anser) and their mating habits? :biggrin: I don't know much about Danger's personal life hehe!

29. 1) Old Indian teacher of natural laws -> guru -> surely a reference to PF's 2007 Physics guru!

24) [tex]ji\sqrt{2\pi} \delta^{(1)} (k)[/tex]
Answer = "G01" (fourier pair)

Last edited:
arunbg said:
Dang, little too late in spotting this thread. From the level of puzzles, I'd say this one is the toughest compared to games I and II.

23. Math Jeans - "bottoms of Nimes" ->denims -> Jeans and "must count" -> Math
Correct!

30. 1) Not sure, but has it got anything to do with geese (genus anser) and their mating habits?
Yes, it has to do with geese, but not their mating habits. What does "Mr." suggest?

arunbg said:
29. 1) Old Indian teacher of natural laws -> guru -> surely a reference to PF's 2007 Physics guru!
Good! That completes 29.

siddharth said:
Answer = "G01"
No, it isn't. But I've got to know why you said that!

EDIT: After reading the edit - you're really close, and your answer is probably as good as mine, but I don't know what G01 actually means!

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
No, it isn't. But I've got to know why you said that!

I thought ji -> G and the Fourier transform of the delta function (about the origin) is one -> 01

siddharth said:
I thought ji -> G and the Fourier transform of the delta function (about the origin) is one -> 01
Okay, no. I like my answer better. It's probably even more convoluted, but nevertheless has a nice finish!

But you're close.

Gokul43201 said:
Yes, it has to do with geese, but not their mating habits. What does "Mr." suggest?

A dangerous gander.

Is #22 jim mcnamara? I have no idea how the 'jim' comes about, though.

neutrino said:
A dangerous gander.
Good job!

Is #22 jim mcnamara? I have no idea how the 'jim' comes about, though.
Yes, it is. I decided to skip the jim part. Do you have an explanation? There may be more to it that first meets the eye.

After all the hullabaloo about 24, I hope the math is actually correct (fingers crossed).

A dangerous gander.
Got it after the hint, but then saw neutrino's post. Do I get a quarter brownie point for the goose part lol?

I'll hand out fractional brownie points in a bit. I'm only going to be at work for another 20 or 30 minutes - then it's bedtime for me (at 5AM!) ... so y'all better take your shots at the rest asap.

Edit: Oh, wait! It's all done, except for 24, isn't it? If there's nothing further on that in 20 minutes, I'll post the solution, update the final list, hand out points and call it a day.

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
Yes, it is. I decided to skip the jim part. Do you have an explanation? There may be more to it that first meets the eye.

cram a man -clumsily-> mcnamara

#22. "for a Sec." referring to Robert McNamara, Kennedy's Secretary of Defense?

I give up on 24.

neutrino said:
cram a man -clumsily-> mcnamara
That's correct, and is mostly all I expected anyone to get, but there's a special half-brownie point to be had in making the connection to the rest of the clue (probably easier for Americans, though).

arunbg said:
#22. "for a Sec." referring to Robert McNamara, Kennedy's Secretary of Defense?
Well done! You get the SHBP!

Well done! You get the SHBP!
Thank you so much, what can I say... sniff... I'd like to thank my family, my computer and wikipedia for their continued help and support ...sniff... Peace

Hey, #21 is still a partial...anyone care to try and finish it off?

The final update for me:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. in much ado, calculus lives = Doc Al [hidden clue: adocalculus] (rewebster)

2. mini rod, twisted = moridin [anagram of "mini rod"] (rewebster)

3. mashed up w/ mashing tooth = wolram [mashing tooth = molar; w + molar --> wolram, after some jumbling] (turbo)

4. only country with map on flag loses its pee = cyrus [cyprus - p] (turbo)

5. best we err funnily = rewebster [anagram of "best we err"] (MIH)

6. bad turk with half a grand = kurdt [half a grand = 500 = D (Roman numerals), d + turk --> after rearranging] (George)

7. [tex]\sqrt{adj^2+opp^2}~@~Iowa[/tex] = hypatia [hyp (from Pythagoras' theorem) + at + IA] (kurdt)

8. gloomy, without a right = moose [right = R, gloomy = morose; morose - r -> moose] (neutrino)

9. strange lover loses all resistance...and inductance = evo [lover - r (resistance) - l (inductance)] (Astro)

10. She's him? But that's completely backwards! = MIH ["him" backwards] (rewebster)

11. strangely, he's Mr. T, shortly, that is, etcetera = chemisttree ["that is" = i.e., "etcetera" = etc, he's mr t + ie + etc -> chemisttree after reworking] (rewebster)

12. derrick lacks that which could make it human = dick [to err is human, derrick - err -> dick] (George)

13. bone marrow loses war but wins a skirmish = moonbear [bonemarrow - war + a -> moonbear after jumbling] (neutrino)

14. use me in HAL; then reformat = enumaelish [anagram of "use me in hal"] (neutrino)

15. Indian essence hydrates, they say = russ watters [russ ~ ras = essence in sanskrit, hydrates -> waters ~ watters] (rewebster)

16. hid a vector within = DaveC [hidden clue: hidavector] (neutrino)

17. Cheerleading slogan for the King of Blues is messed up = BobG [King of Blues = B. B. King, anagram of "Go, BB"] (turbo)

18. found in Decatur, Boise and Maine =turbo [hidden clue: decaturboise; also turbo-1 lives in Maine] (rewebster)

19. Huxley does a Brother Gibb swap, we hear = gravenewworld [Brother Gibb = B G, Aldous Huxley's book Brave New World with B swapped for G] (BobG)

20. la salle de lierre, and many more = HallsofIvy [straight translation, I hope] (turbo)

21. how a Roman sentry may begin to question a lurker underscores the heart of its translation by Shakespeare
= Q_Goest (partial by Chi Meson)
[Q begins quo vadis? and 'underscores' is for the "_" that follows the Q; this is most commonly translated as "whither goest thou?", as found for example, in the Merchant of Venice]

22. carelessly cram a man, for a Sec. = (jim) mcnamara (neutrino with the answer, arunbg mopping up)
[anagram of "cram a man"; "Sec." is a reference to Vietnam era US Sec. Def. Bob McNamara]

23. bottoms of Nimes must count = Math Jeans (arunbg)
[denim is derived from de Nimes; bottoms -> pants; denim pants = jeans; normal jeans wouldn't be able to count, but Math Jeans should!]

24. [tex]ji\sqrt{2\pi} \delta^{(1)} (k)[/tex] = Fourier jr (unsolved)
[that's just the Fourier transform into k-space, of a linear signal in r-space : a constant, j, times r
see, for instance the table FT of distributions near the bottom of this page]

25. the Stooge of the Commandments leads the Greek sharpdull = Moe Darklight (partial by turbo, george with the finish)
[Moe Howard, born Moses Horwitz, was one of the Three Stooges;
Darklight is something of an oxymoron, and the word 'oxymoron' is itself something of an oxymoron, being derived from the Greek words for sharp (oxy) and dull (moros). ]

26. Not derived from terrible X gradalis? = integral (rewebster)
[1. not derived -> integrated
2. X = ten, gradalis = grail (Latin), ten+grail (jumble) -> integral]

27. Two-faced gatekeeper is mostly an @$$#0!3 = Janus (rewebster, shortly followed by turbo)
[1. Janus = Roman God with a double-sided head, guardian of gates and doors
2. Janus is mostly anus]

28. Fly trades one for a different fly's killing machine. = Zapper (rewebster)
[1. fly = zipper, "trades one for a" -> remove I, add A, zipper - i + a = zapper
2. "different fly" refers to the insect, bug "killing machine" -> bug zapper]

29. Old Indian teacher of natural laws has seen Gore jog clumsily! = George Jones (partial by rewebster, completed by arunbg)
[1. Old (as in ancient) Indian teacher of natural laws = physics guru
2. seen gore jog = george jones (anagram)]

30. Mr. anser, in trouble. = Danger (partial by Chi Meson, aided by arunbg, finished by neutrino)
[1. Mr -> male, anser -> genus of geese, so Mr. anser -> male goose = gander (anagram of danger)
2. in trouble -> danger]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tally of points:
LOTS of points to rewebster, neutrino, turbo, george and arunbg - yes, I'm lazy!

rewebster: Sorry this ended while you were in exile.

That's it from me - tomorrow's going to be a busy day. If anyone else wants to make clues, feel free.

Last edited:
Thanks for yet another fun round. Hope this message reaches you after a good morning's sleep. :biggrin:

I hadn't gotten around to looking at this summary until now, and I see that Moe=Moses is the answer that was being sought. I had managed to dredge up an alternate explanation regarding the 8th commandment. In an episode of the Simpsons, Homer got an illegal cable hook-up (stealing) and Lisa protests, fearing for his soul. When Moe (tavern owner) shows up at the house, Homer has to quickly hide all the beer mugs that he has stolen from the tavern.

Gokul43201 said:
If anyone else wants to make clues, feel free.

here's one:

Advance and separate, descending without May from a Mexican holiday and slightly disturbed

Last edited: