Could an Outsider Understand the Physics of Basketball?

In summary, the conversation discusses a character from another planet who takes part in a game of three-on-three. The character approaches the game as a purely physical experience, taking into account factors such as wind flow velocity and the Magnus effect. They also seek feedback on their description of the game, using terms like conservation of angular momentum and backspin. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the character's curiosity and eagerness to learn about human activities.
Chatterton
I've got a character who's from another planet who gets pulled into a pick-up game of three-on-three. No, seriously.

So, how would a being who saw the game purely as physics in motion describe things like lining up shots and things like that? Just curious. Nothing elaborate. Just your common everyday kind of moves.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, looks like I'm not getting a lot of traction with this one. In your defence, though, my initial request was hella vague.

So, here's a brief selection from my first draft, the bit where it gets quasi-technical. If a few people could review it to see if I've committed any egregious errors I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

--

She passed the ball from hand to hand, getting a feel for its mass. The breeze riffled through her antennae and she factored the wind flow velocity into her calculations. The game was little more than dynamic physics, a nuanced blend of gravity, drag, buoyant force, relative motion, and what the Earthlings called Magnus effect. She had a pretty good handle on the theory. Just needed to get some practical experience under her belt, as the humans would say. Even if a belt would have just slid right off her.Use the conservation of angular momentum to your advantage, dearest one, her mother said.

Yes, starchild, said her father. Release the ball from your fingertips to better diffuse the ball’s forward motion when it collides with fixed objects.

I believe they call that backspin, said Gleipnock.

Likes Drakkith

physics girl covers it well.
Also check out these kicks:

Likes Chatterton

What is the physics behind a basketball's bounce?

The physics behind a basketball's bounce is primarily due to the conservation of energy. When the ball hits the ground, it deforms and stores potential energy. As it bounces back, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the ball to rise back up. The height of the bounce is determined by the initial height of the drop, the ball's elasticity, and the force of gravity.

Why do basketballs have grooves on their surface?

The grooves on a basketball's surface, also known as channels or ribs, help to improve the ball's grip and control. This is particularly important for players when shooting, passing, and dribbling. The grooves create friction between the ball and the player's hand, allowing for better handling and control of the ball.

How does air pressure affect a basketball's performance?

Air pressure plays a crucial role in a basketball's performance. The ideal air pressure for a basketball is around 7-9 pounds per square inch (psi). When the pressure is too low, the ball may feel flat and not bounce as well. On the other hand, if the pressure is too high, the ball may feel too hard and difficult to handle. This is why it is important to regularly check and adjust the air pressure in a basketball.

What is the Magnus effect and how does it apply to basketball?

The Magnus effect is a phenomenon where a spinning object experiences a lift force perpendicular to its direction of motion. In basketball, this is seen when a player applies spin to the ball when shooting. The spin creates a pressure difference on opposite sides of the ball, resulting in a curved trajectory known as the "swish" shot.

How does the height of a basketball hoop affect the game?

The standard height of a basketball hoop is 10 feet. This height was chosen to provide a challenging and competitive game for players of various heights. A higher hoop would make it more difficult for shorter players to score, while a lower hoop would make it easier for taller players. The height also allows for a balance between shooting and layup/dunking techniques, making the game more dynamic and exciting.